Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P14 Mag Feed Lip Dimensions

Guest Larry Cazes

Guest Larry Cazes

Yes, I checked the FAQ, nothing on the P14. Thanks Benny, I'll use your number as a starting point and experiment. The 4 new tubes are all over the place as they came from Para.

on the p14 everything is easy:

1. Are your mags still feeding fine? If yes, then the lips are not too narrow.

2. Are your mags (just use the empty mag bodies for this test) still falling free from the gun? If yes,

then the lips are not too wide.

That's all. Feed lip dimensions are not critical beyond this.

--Detlef

Guest Larry Cazes

Some experimenting has shown that my P14 is quite sensitive to feed lip spacing. All of these dimensions were measured 1/8" from the front of the feed lips. With 16 rounds loaded in the mags, at .400" the first 3 rounds out of the mag have a tendancy to feed nose down and jam into the frame below the feed ramp. At .425" regardless of the number in the mag, I start to see jams with the bullets nose up into the top of the chamber. So far, it looks like .410 is optimum. I'll have to shoot much more to be sure. I am using Para stock tubes, dawson +2 pads, and wolf springs. What is the story with the taper front to back?

Guest Larry Cazes

Actually Benny, I started out with ISMI mag springs and got nose down jams every other round for the first few rounds of each mag. ISMI's suggestion was to trim the springs one coil at a time until the jams went away. They never did and I ended up with mags that were very unreliable probably due to insufficient spring tension. When I started with the stock unmodified ISMI springs, I could feel and hear the compressed spring column collapse/buckle when the 15th round was loaded. I feel that Dawson did a great job building the gun and it has always functioned 100% with the factory 10 rounders it was shipped to me with.

i hate to say it (again....) but nearly all troubles with High-cap guns feeding begin with (surprise!)

high-cap mags. yes, 10 rders will nearly always serve you well, but whether the smith did a truely

good job shows when you test reliability with 17-18-rd mags. I suggest you search somewhere else

than at the feed lip dimension. Most likely, you are dealing with a spring force and/or timing problem

1. Do you run shok buffs? If yes, remove.

2. Are the mag bodies tuned at all? If no, at least polish inside, bevel & polish bottom of bodies

3. What followers do you use?

There are a few other things...the 45 high-cap is the hardest one of them to make reliable!

--Detlef

Guest Larry Cazes

Detlef, I am running the original stock Para followers. I have polished the tubes by running them for a few hours each in my case cleaner with Corn media and dillon polish. This seems to have helped quite a bit. What contribution does the taper of the mag lips front to back make?

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

Larry