Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3N37 vs 4756

Philip Dedmon

I have been shooting too long so I know that there are things that will work for me but might not work for you & things that work for you that might not work for me. I think all of you will agree with that. So here is my question.

I am using 3N37 & have worked up a great load for my new open class IPSC gun. At least I think it is great in practice. I shot it about 500 rds. this past Sat. & Sun. I have not used it in a match yet. I have not shot any USPSA type matches sense 1999. The new gun's load is, a 124 gr. FP Hornady with 8.65 grs. (that is a 20 charge avg) of VV 3N37.  A 10 shot avg. was 1385.6 fps. I used 3N37 in my old open class gun back in 1999 when I was shooting in some USPSA matches, and yes back then the power factor was 175.

Back in my single stack days of shooting 38 Super at 180 power factor I used IMR 4756.

I am thinging of testing IMR 4756 in my new pistol with the 124 gr. FP's @ 1385 but I thought I would get some feed back from you guys. Thanks for all your help.  

Here are two photos and some info on the new pistol.

• Dawson #2 four port comp (front side ports only)
  • Kart barrel
  • 2 TJ (hybrid) ports

new%20comp.jpg

STI2.jpg

(Edited by Philip Dedmon at 9:49 am on Nov. 12, 2002)

Philip:

1) Try 115gr JHP (if in the US or Canada). You'll never go back to 124gr!

2) Try Vectan SP2, VV 3N38, or Hodgdon HS7, something slower than 3N37 or 4756.

3) Don't try to hug the current power factor. Find out what power factor/bullet weight your gun prefers, in terms of felt recoil and the ability to put the dot back on target for the second shot. You may find that your gun works *much* better at a 180 power factor than 160 - 165. Keep you eyes on the goal!

I shot a lot of 125 gr loads using 3N37, and was very satisfied with it. I experimented with 115gr bullets, and the gun worked better. I tried SP2 and the gun worked better. The difference between the current load and the old 125gr load with 3N37 is significant in my gun, and I'd never go back (even though I have 6 pounds of 3N37 in my powder closet!).

Experiment!

I'll take your powder, Jeff!!!!!!:)

Phil;

I dig what you're looking for, but also consider the possiblility of just sticking with what works.  I basically did the same thing you did; loved 124's and 3N37 in my P9, then I build a .38 Super and found an awsome load for both.  I keep trying 115's, but the blast is SO bad (to me) that I'm flinching inside 50 rounds.  And I don't notice any flatter of a response with the gun cycling.  My gun is very similar to yours, too.

I've never tried 3N38 or 4756, but I would guess if the difference isn't significant, I wouldn't even bother....and it's probably not.  I suggest sticking with what you know.  Thanks.

Next?