Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loading for the 300 rm. ultra mag

gingerbreadman

hello this is my first post on this forumn, Are there any rules i should know about?

Anyways, i have a remington lss in 300 ultra mag......I have the 220 grain noslers shooting under 1 inch groups at 100 yards at 3050 fps......that is as good as i can shoot so im gonna go with that load for thos bullets.......

Now id really like to get the 180 rem bulk bullets to shoot well but iv tried and tried and just cant get them to groupe well, it has been several months since i attempted to make a 180 grain load so im gonna start from scratch. on hand i have imr 7828 and 180 remington spire point bullets,180 grain spire point  hornady bullets

Does anyone want to give me any pointers on loading for this caliber and grain of bullet, i want at least 3300 fps out of the 180 grains......

this gun does shoot well as i have proven with the 220 noslers so i see no reason why i cant get the 180 grains too shoot.......

anybody else been there?

-gbm-

I thought all the Mastadons were dead, what do you shoot with that thing?

All kidding aside, my Barnes book says to try RL25 between 84 and 89 grains.

My .300 H&H will kill everything on the continent, won't shoot a 180 at 3300 fps, but the elk that I have shot never knew the difference.  Lots of factors which make a rifle shoot, not just reloading the ammo, got to have a good barrel and and a guy behind the gun who knows how to get the most out of it.  Is it a factory barrel, or a custom job?You also might try H870, meters great, and makes lots of horsepower, kind of dirty though.  Let us know.

Quote: from tightloop on 11:09 am on Aug. 25, 2002

I thought all the Mastadons were dead, what do you shoot with that thing?

All kidding aside, my Barnes book says to try RL25 between 84 and 89 grains.

My .300 H&H will kill everything on the continent, won't shoot a 180 at 3300 fps, but the elk that I have shot never knew the difference.  Lots of factors which make a rifle shoot, not just reloading the ammo, got to have a good barrel and and a guy behind the gun who knows how to get the most out of it.  Is it a factory barrel, or a custom job?You also might try H870, meters great, and makes lots of horsepower, kind of dirty though.  Let us know.

What am I gonna shoot with that gun you ask?  I'll shoot anything i bloody well want and I sure as heck wont feel afraid.....I'll tell you its one mean kicker tho, i can shoot 3 rounds accuratly at the bench before i start to flinch, Off hand i can shoot maybe 10 but thats it, after that I have to take a break as my shoulder gets ratehr soar.......Thats with the 220 grains, the 180 grains arn't as bad but still do some damage to the old shoulder.......

Anyways, to the powder I was hoping to stick with imr or hogdons as reloder and all the rest are too expensive in canada.....

Like I say i havent really done much shooting with this gun with the 180 grians and the shooting i have done was not very succesful with the 180 grians........

The gun is tottaly factory there is no barrel work or stock work whatsoever......

It shoots the 220 grains very well, The first powder i tried was imr 7828 and ity shoots very well......

Iv got a chronograph and all the gear too get this gun shooting the only thing i lack is experiance (being only 20 years old) I Got my .270 shooting through nickle so i see no reason i cant do this.....But yes the recoil makes it hard to shoot at the bench but i think i have that under controll......A secret to all you newer shooter........Dont be affraid to walk away if you get frustrated or things dont go your way at the bench, after all its supposed to be a fun hobby, and secondly wear a foam pad under your coat it helps even with the lighter calibers.......

-gbm-

(Edited by gingerbreadman at 11:34 pm on Aug. 25, 2002)

• 2 months later...