Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My wife was from North Dakota. She is big on having gear in the car for when bad things happen. She saw what happens when you don't.

I have a box for all my vehicles. I sometimes take it out for local driving or in the summertime, but in the winter and for long trips it's in the car.

Coffee can,

survival candles

matches(Waterproof) and a lighter

swiss army knife or multitool

toilet paper

2 metal cups

space blanket

drink stuff (instant cofee, etc)

Rope

flashlight, C cell. Lithium batteries for same.

MIght be some iodine tablets for water, can't remember

few other things I can't remember

It fits into a medium sized ammo can.

I also carry a canvas bag with a small air compressor, fix a flat, emergency fan belt, some basic tools, tape that fixes hoses, vinyl gloves, jumper cables, and flares.

On longer trips I usually bring a milk crate with motor oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, pre mix antifreeze, windshield wiper solvent, (I have an old car)

I don't keep a lot of water in my cars when I'm bopping around town but when I go on HWY trips I take water and some MRE's.

Food and water is important. The highway I take to many of the matches I shoot was iced up for a few days 2 years ago. A lot of people got stuck in their cars and were very miserable.

I also always have at least 1 regular blanket in each vehicle at all times. Usually more.

The one time I needed this stuff it was actually kind of fun to crack it out.

Ted

I lived in Grand Forks as a kid and went to school from 2-10th grade in ND. Back then, ND taught basic winter survival in all of their schools, drivers ed, hunters ed, and snowmobile licensing course. Up there, it's just a prudent way of survival. Snowing, 40mph winds, 70 below zero, and driving to the relatives in Petersburg for Thanksgiving... Those conditions will weed out the stupid/unprepared real quick.

Edited by SA Friday