Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig X-5 comp?

stevehof

I've been shooting my Glock 35 @ 100 rounds a day for close to 3 years. A trigger return spring is all it has needed in 30,000 rounds. I recently picked up a Sig X-5 comp that I'd like to shoot in Limited. I know it is a heavy beast but I enjoy shooting it. QUESTION, has anybody put a high round count through one of these 'competition' Sigs? Will they stand up to daily shooting at least as well as a good 1911?

Two people come to mind, Rodney May and Roger Sherman.

Thanks, are these guys factory shooters? Googling them doesn't bring up any results. I was hoping to find someone on this board who had first hand high mileage experience with the Sig X-5. Factory supported shooters are never going talk about breakage or maintenance frequency.

Shot approximately 7500 rounds through my .40 X-5 L1 in a year and a half. I cover darn near every visible surface with SlideGlide and it still locks up tight with only minor wear marks that showed up early on. I think I replaced the recoil spring once.

I don't have as many rounds thru mine. I had an issue that turned out to be extractor tension...a hit or miss factory issue from what I've read on sigforum.com. When those issues came up I went ahead and sent it to Bruce Gray to fix that and to get a full "XLP" package from them which takes a decent amount of weight off the frame. ...plus a bunch of custom work and dehorning...

So far I have only ~300 rounds thru since returning from they and it is flawless with an unbelievable trigger and reset...it was very good prior to sending - now it is RIGHT on! The weight is still there as opposed to a non-SS frame but it really likes to shoot.

I've also read that parts can be tough to come by IF you need them...but I haven't needed any so I can't confirm that...sweet guns to be sure.

I also wish Sig would provided some high cap mags for the .40...wish list...

FWIW- www.grayguns.com I'm not affiliated - just a satisfied customer.

Edited by hk_mtbr

Two people come to mind, Rodney May and Roger Sherman.

Thanks, are these guys factory shooters? Googling them doesn't bring up any results. I was hoping to find someone on this board who had first hand high mileage experience with the Sig X-5. Factory supported shooters are never going talk about breakage or maintenance frequency.

Roger was a factory supported shooter until he deployed to Iraq a year ago. I'm not sure which X-Five he shoots in Limited.

Rodney is not a factory supported shooter. He told me he has broken several parts and that Sig Sauer has been less than helpful with selling him replacement parts. He shoots an Allround in Production.

Has anybody come out with 19-21 round .40 mags for these? I don't think we're going to see many/any top Limited shooters using a Sig until that's a reality and if they're not being used by the very best we're not getting as true a picture of how good they can be.

Has anybody come out with 19-21 round .40 mags for these?

Roger Sherman designed and was selling mousetrap extensions for Sig P226 X-Five magazines before he deployed to Iraq. I don't remember what the capacity increase for .40S&W was, but for 9mm you could take a 17 round magazine and turn it into a 23-24 round magazine.

Edited by HuskySig

Roger Sherman designed and was selling mousetrap extensions for Sig P226 X-Five magazines before he deployed to Iraq. I don't remember what the capacity increase for .40S&W was, but for 9mm you could take a 17 round magazine and turn it into a 23-24 round magazine.

Well, if it's 23 in 9, it ought to be in the ballpark of 20 rounds in .40S&W. 21-22 is nice, but not needed that often. R,

Well, if it's 23 in 9, it ought to be in the ballpark of 20 rounds in .40S&W. 21-22 is nice, but not needed that often. R,

well there's always L10... :closedeyes:

I have the mousetrap extensions and I believe he said they'd hold 17 or 18 and I get 17 in four of mine and 16 in two of them.

Sig support is weak - I lost one of the circlips off the rear sight and they didn't have any - which can happen - but they weren't able to order it and didn't even have a parts diagram showing it and a part number. There also aren't many aftermarket options for parts and accessories (the main reason I'm switching to revolvers and single stack) so my advice to the OP is: if you like it as-is, shoot it and have fun. Just be prepared for some serious down time if you need parts from Sig.

Sig support is weak - I lost one of the circlips off the rear sight and they didn't have any - which can happen - but they weren't able to order it and didn't even have a parts diagram showing it and a part number. There also aren't many aftermarket options for parts and accessories (the main reason I'm switching to revolvers and single stack) so my advice to the OP is: if you like it as-is, shoot it and have fun. Just be prepared for some serious down time if you need parts from Sig.

Thanks for all the information and replies. It looks like I'll continue to shoot the X-5 occasionally and pass on the heavy duty daily competition workout... <_<