Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Urg!

Rocket35

Shooting SSTK and forgetting to top off at the LAMR is quite the bummer. With an unplanned reload, it made me shoot from the seat of my pants and not how I programmed the stage, costing me several seconds on the stage. <_<

On another note, I seem to be having issues with my ammo. I have been running an OAL of 1.180" for .40cal in my SSTK and seems to be having feedramp jams. Can anyone confirm that a longer OAL will correct that issue? I plan on loading to 1.200" and test.... I am using Wilson 47NX and 47 mags... issues with both mags.

Jay,

From what Matt McLearn told me, the feed ramp on STI barrels is a bit too far forward when compared with the best aftermarket barrels. It doesn't seem to be an issue with factory ammo and the mags with spacers in the rear, but with 10mm length mags (47NX) it can cause problems. He tweaked the profile on my ramp and it's been fine with long ammo (1.20"), but I loaded some even longer (1.230-1.250) to experiment....they worked fine at the longer lengths as well and seemed to feed a bit smoother. I literally spent hours loading dummy rounds and then seeing how they chambered. Feeding from slide lock with a full mag was the only time I had issues prior to the ramp tweak. As you saw when you shot it, it seems to run fine now. I still have to send the gun off to get the Schuemann put in it, but it's been low on the priority list lately.

I'd definitely give 1.20" a try with your gun....good chance that'll cure the problem. R,

Thanks for the info Chris. I am loading some up at 1.230" right now. That is as long as I can get away with and still have enough bullet to crimp onto in front of the grease ring of the 200gr Black Bullets Int. I will load some up at 1.200" for testing as well.

I have an STI Trojan six inch that gave me a problem with feed ramp jams. It was sent out as a 9mm and that the round that was jamming. A good gunsmith close to ,Thomas Bullock, looked it over and informed me that the base where the frame was cut for the feed ramp was not cut deep enough. He milled it deeper and the problem ceased. I have since had Tom fit a Kart 38Super barrel to the gun using the same bushing and it runs fine set up that way. It will run 9mm and 38 Super by changing out the barrel and the mags.