Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The TSA

markcic

I have no love for the TSA.

The agents at the screening points at airports give the illusion of security but real security, nope. Keep focusing on the objects and not the people and the security they seek will not occur. I also feel that the most dangerous place at the airport is the security screening port. I won't give details on a public forum but lets say that if you give it some thought you'll agree that the model we use is a recipe for a serious event.

In addition the TWIC card I had to get just to continue doing what I do for a living still gives me a sick feeling in my gut. Has it ferreted out any terrorists or any others who wish to do harm? Not that I'm aware of. It has ferreted out deadbeat dads, a few who have had outstanding warrants on lessor crimes, and a few others who were on the fringes of the law but not a real threat to society. Rumor on the street is that some of the service companies have had to terminate the employment of those who couldn't get the card. Replacing those workers means that wages are being bumped up to attract the 'proper' worker. Workers who can pass a drug screen, TWIC card background check, and are willing to do dirty grunt labor don't come cheap.

Ugh! {Virtual throwing arms up in disgust.}

When I travel with guns, I place them in a locking gun case inside my regular luggage with TSA locks on the out side of the luggage and on the locking case. It is to easy for a luggage handler to "find" a set of of the master keys. You see them laying around everywhere it seems. What I do to make it a little harder for a thief is I have notched my locking case so that I can feed a heavy cable into the case, through the trigger guards and back out and around the steel inner frame of the luggage.

This allows TSA to look at it if they feel they must and at least slows down someone wanting to make simple snatch of my guns. It at least makes a thief work for it. It's not perfect but better than having TSA damage my locking case by them trying to cut the locks. Gear is a little tougher but I only put actual gun parts in checked luggage. Electronic ears, eyes, holsters and such go in my carry on.

Robert Ray