Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IonBond

busyhawk

I want to have my AR 15 IonBonded and was thinking to just have the following parts done:

Upper receiver

Bolt Carrier complete (minus gas rings)

Housing for the recoil spring/stock tube

Buffer

Is there any reason to have any other part Bonded?

I have already had my STI Tactical IonBonded by Scott Springer of SpringerPrecision.com out of Bend, OR. and love it, so with the 3 gun season at an end in the great NW I want to make improvements now.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Scott Hawkins

I just got my parts back from IonBond for a new build. Did the upper and lower receiver, bolt, carrier, barrel and comp in satin finish to match my open pistol. Rifle photos at http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=firebird in Post #2. Those are the only parts IonBond recommended for coating. Barrel/Comp was my option.

NMCOpen,

Where did you get your recomendations for what to get done? I don't see any reason to have the lower done since it doesn't see alot of friction. I was also going for the firing pin, bolt cam and stock tube with the buffer since they all are moving parts and could use (In my view) the hardness/lube capabilities of the IONBOND.

I too was thinking of the comp since it takes a beating and it should be easier to clean?

Thank you for the reply and pictures.

Scott

NMCOpen,

Where did you get your recomendations for what to get done? I don't see any reason to have the lower done since it doesn't see alot of friction. I was also going for the firing pin, bolt cam and stock tube with the buffer since they all are moving parts and could use (In my view) the hardness/lube capabilities of the IONBOND.

I too was thinking of the comp since it takes a beating and it should be easier to clean?

Thank you for the reply and pictures.

Scott

Receiver was new, in the white, so it all had to be finished. Exchanged e-mail with IonBond Custom Shop Gunsmith Ryan Flynn (r.flynn@us.ionbond.com) The entire bolt and carrier assembly (except the gas rings) was done. I have the JP LMOS buffer that is already anodized, so I didn't see any need to coat anything in the back end.