Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mini 30 for white tails and mysterious SAR ammo

Beretta Lover

I just picked up a new Mini 30 (7.62x39) last weekend.

I called Ruger before I bought a new one to see if the re do of the design was significant enough to get me to buy a new one.

They said th new rifle had a new barrel, gas block, op rod, sights. The barrel diameters are supposed to run .310-.311.

With wolf ammo it shot within a few MOA at 100yds , with federal 123 gr soft points it looks like it was holding within a couple MOA. At 50yds it cloverleafed.

Has anyone handloaded any heavy bullets for a mini 30 for white tail. I am looking at shooting from very close to probably 100 yds.

There used to be an advertiser in SAR that had some crazy heavey sub sonic ammo (like 200 gr) called the Jackhammer or sledgehammer. I think they were for suppressed AKs and I think you had to order a pallet of the stuff.

Anyone remember what that stuff was and how to get it?

I dont want to shoot heavy jacketed ammo at deer (illegal) but something similar could be groovey

• 2 weeks later...

Going from memory alone (WARNING: At my age, this could be dangerous!), Hornady, Speer and Sierra made 150 grain .311 bullets for the .303 British. They could be a starting point.

OTOH, have you had any problems with the 123 grain bullets not working on whitetails? You may be trying to fix something that ain't broke.

Going from memory alone (WARNING: At my age, this could be dangerous!), Hornady, Speer and Sierra made 150 grain .311 bullets for the .303 British. They could be a starting point.

OTOH, have you had any problems with the 123 grain bullets not working on whitetails? You may be trying to fix something that ain't broke.

No problems with 123s (but I havent shot a deer with them yet)

Im certain they will be adequate, I was just wondering if anyone had fooled with the really heavy stuff