Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Custom" work on a gun you don't expect

MichiganShootist

Getting the tritium vials out is no problem. Just heat the metal around the vial with the flame from a cigarette lighter. The glue that holds the vial in place turns into a gas as it burns, and it causes the vial to self-eject out of the hole. I have done this numerous times over the years. (Of course this totally trashes the vial in the process, but hey, it wasn't working anyway so it's not like you're losing anything.) Then you can go into the hole with a sewing needle to clean out the bit of glue that's left behind. Then send the slide off to Trijicon for installation of brand-new, top quality vials and you're down the road. Again, I have done this several times over the years and it's always turned out great.

Thanks Duane... for yet another potential solution. Does it make a difference who made the sights?????

I have been traveling for several days ... so I need to get caught up on lots of stuff... including this thread and all the ideas you shooters have supplied. I do know that a number of the suppliers suggested can't help me because I have already contacted them and several don't carry the sight height required for the shorter barrel .45 ACP 1911s.

Here's a picture of the pistol

And here's what I've had done to it

Colt Officers ACP Enhanced Model Rebuild

Reverse Recoil Plug System With Full Length Guide Rod

New Hammer, Springs, Sear and Reliability Work

Custom Barrel Bushing

Milled in Combat Multi-color Night Sights

High Polished Extended Thumb Safety

High Polished Beavertail Grip Safety

High Polished Cut Down Magazine Well

Re-polish all Stainless Steel flats

Total Trigger Rebuild Using Original Colt Trigger with custom trigger bar (3 # pull)

Replace and Tune Firing Pin Safety

Hand Checker Front Strap and Mainspring Housing 25 lpi

Custom Grips from Ajax

Slightly Extended and High Polished Magazine Release from Ed Brown

See why it's my "Baby"?

Edited by MichiganShootist

I think I've found the best possible solution. On the Trijicon www site I found a link to their recommended gunsmithing service for sights. The company is called ToolTech and they do an entire menu of services but much of it centers on...

replacing trintium vials in night sights and drilling fixed and adjustable sights of many brands and installing Trijicon vials.

There work apears to be excellent and on the phone they were very helpful..... and after all this effort... I find that they are a Michigan company within a couple hours drive from me.

So I plan on shipping them my slide to have the vials replaced with fresh trintium units from Trijicon. You guys might want to check out their www site.

http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/index.php?...0&Itemid=60

Edited by Flexmoney
to add link