Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon SDB

I've been using my SDB for 9MM, .45, .38/.357 and only now have added .40 S&W. On 9MM & 45, the RN profile seating stem seems to do a good job on most profiles but on the .40, both stems leave a distinct ring on the Rainier 180 grain RNFP bullets ogive. After first trying the shallower stem comparable to 9MM/.45 RN stems I found the larger left less indentation but still, notable. Both stems have rounded profiles but are apparently designed for differing meplat sizes. Either of the stems seems to do a good job on 180 JHP (as would be expected). Just wondering, is this an inherent deal in that particular bullet design and if so, does in apply to Rainier's other 180 designs as well -or- are other seating stem designs available from Dillon other than the supplied 2 that comes with the conversions?

EDIT: Edited just to put a point on the original question. I took one of the conical shaped Cratex polishing wheels and broke the sharp inside edge of the seating stem and this helped reduce the problem. This morning, followed up with a call to Dillon to see if any RN profile stems were available (they're not) and the CSR I spoke to said his solution was the same as mine for that bullet. After talking with him, pulled the stem and buffed it down a bit more and put a final slicking on the inside edge with Flitz...problem solved. You can still see a very shallow indentation on every 4th or 5th round but now, you'd have to be looking they are no longer "ringed".

Edited by D. Manley