Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope Recommendation -10/22

MikeF

Mike,

You will get many answers on this, as it is a personal matter, but I have a Leupold 6x24 with fine reticle and a Weaver V16 with a duplex reticle. I like the Weaver much better, the sweet spot where you see a full view seems bigger, and it is very, very clear. I shoot on 16 power. A lot of shooters use the fine crosshairs with a dot, but I didn't like the look, and it was easy for me to lose it. I have shot with the Burris, and didn't like it. The field of view seemed smaller and it was like looking thru a tube for me. Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike...if money is an object the Tasco World Class AO 6x24 with 1/8minute dot can shoot better than I can....be sure that you attach it with a cantilever mount to the barrel (I like the Burris "Z" rings)....I full length bedded and double lugged my barrel, but that is a personal preference... make sure that you have absolutely no vertical play in the firing pin, get the headspace on the bolt somewhere close to .040in....a home made tuner (barrel vibration node) made a tremendous difference....my 18inch Clark fluted barrel with tuner dropped a 2 1/2 inch group (with supersonic SuperX) to consisently fit on a paster at 100y....regards... wish the STC would come back to Fla... Les

Less,

What does your tuner look like. I have a volquartsen bbl (fluted, comped) and it shoots like crap. I switched back to another bbl that shoots good, but after spending the money, I wished my volquartsen was my main gun, not my backup gun.

Mike

PS Having shot the stc in both Fla and Tx, I liked the Markham park venue much better, even though SA is only an hour and a half away.

Thanks for the replies. I'm located about 5 hours NW of San Antonio and our club is really active in the STC. I'm getting geared up for next season with the right scope being the only thing I'm lacking. Most of the guys here are shooting Redfields or the Burris with the target dot. I've looked through a Tasco as mentioned and it was a clear as some of the other scopes out here. Hope to see you there next year and here in Midland for a regional.

Mike F.

Old....when I first started kicking around the idea of a tuner around, I envisioned a micrometer adjustable sliding weight on the barrel.... so my prototype was just a piece of 1 1/8 inch round aluminum bar stock about 2 1/2 inches long... bored a hole thru the middle and turned it to be a snug fit on the barrel.... made a saw cut down the length of the side, and drilled and tapped a cross hole so a cap screw could pinch the across the saw cut... slipped it on the rifle with about 3/4in hanging off the muzzle.... I had previously decided on high velocity rather than standard ammo to get a little help on the steel so chose WinSuperX ( my SW41 likes it pretty well, and I made a home made rim thickness gauge and it seemed pretty consistent in rim thickness without going to anything more costly than 711....) I started shooting groups at 100y and they started around 2 1/2 inches.... (I was getting a first shot flyer that opened the groups up).... lightly tap the tuner further on the barrel, and the groups started to shrink....once you passed the zero node point they would open back up again.....moving back the other way, the groups tightened, and I clamped the pinch bold down right there..... Its been there ever since... the first year we shot the STC I was fortunate to talk to David Tubb for about 1/2 hour... about the headspace and things in general, so I had previously reduced the headspace to a little less than .040in... but was still getting a mysterious first shot flyer... always about 2-3inches dead left at 270degrees to the rest of the group.... decided that possibly the bolt wasn't seating flush with the chamber so replaced the charging handle and recoil spring and noticed that there was a lot of vertical play with the firing pin.... I ground a "v" to the sides of a roll pin and tapped it in the firing pin slot, just behind the charging handle, so that it both tightened the charging handle to more perpendicular to the bolt, and reduced all vertical movement in the firing pin... a friend then TiG welded it in place.... returning to the range, and found that it would now consistently shoot paster (15/16inch) groups at 100y....the last year ithe STC was at Markham Park, I ran the first 9 targets at 90y, and then shot 2 more magazines at the dammed star without hitting it.....but it sure wasn't the gun's fault..... regards Les