Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring when no-shoots are used as vision barriers

Steve J

One thing I can say with certainty, the hole left in the cardboard...including the grease ring...is a smaller diameter than the bullet that passed through the target.

Absolutely correct.

Even though you can develop a pretty good eye for for it after a while, the overlay is the only correct way to make a close call.

Great information. Between you and Flex, I have a clear picture now of the whole grease ring, bullet diameter relationship to the overlay.

We may be beating around the same bush here?

Pretty much.

One thing I can say with certainty, the hole left in the cardboard...including the grease ring...is a smaller diameter than the bullet that passed through the target.

I agree (with both you and George).

The target sucks further back in after the bullet passes through it. (I'm not sure if you are saying the same thing?)

I was trying to avoid that "sucks back in" terminology... Its so... imprecise and unscientific... :lol:

I haven't measured wadcutters or SWC's, so I can't say one way or the other on those.

They tend to punch a much nicer/cleaner hole, but I don't know if they're within a few thou of the diameter of the bullet, or not (I suspect they're within the width of the line on the overlay, though - I don't have one handy to measure).

Regardless, we put the overlay over "where the bullet went" and center it up. Then, we use the circle on the overlay to score. I would hope we are on the same page there ?

Yes - the trick is locating where the bullet actually went in a small number of cases...

Here is a bit of disconnect... When I hear somebody talking about using the edge of the hole or grease ring...that means they are skewing the overlay to one side. Not centering it over "where the bullet went."

You don't line it up on the grease ring - rather you match the curve of the grease ring to even up the curve of the circle on the overlay. When they're even (there's an equal amount of brownish in between the circle of the overlay and the grease ring) all the way around the grease ring, you're centered. This works out the same as centering in the hole if you have a full hit - but on edge hits, this allows you to more precisely locate the bullet hole, in my experience anyway. This is obviously easier to demonstrate in person... ;)