Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650: misalignment at priming station

I'm a beginner with the XL650, purchased it a few months ago and reloaded a few thousands rounds, all of'em 38 special.

Lately I'm experiencing serious problems with the priming station: press will just stop, primes won't slide into their box, trying to rotate manually the shellplate back and forth sometimes works some other times will result in deformed primers. This was lately occurring every other time or one third of the times.

I removed the shell plate, cleaned it, greased it on the underside, removed and cleaned also the primer feeding assembly with the primer plate, cleaned what I could, did not disassemble the whole thing completely though.

I visually noticed a misalignemnt between the priming punch and the center of the case seat at the shellplate. I tried to correct it acting on the two allen keys keeping the primer tube on the press.

This worked only in part. I think the shellplate rotates just a fraction of degree beyond the exact centerline of punch. I can partially solve the problem by using my finger as a brake at the shellplate at the end of the cycle, doesn't work all the time unfortunately.

I have often to remove the case from station 2, realign manually the shellplate (one fraction of a degree counterclockwise) and proceed. It's just a tiny fraction of degree, almost imperceptible but it does seem to be the cause of malfunction.

Now I searched thru similar posts, I realize I have to adjust the settings somehow but I didn't grasp exactly how, the details of the ops.

Could you please indicate me some available material, or clearly elucidate what and how to adjust it.

My production currently sucks!!

P.S:: my bench is firmly secured to the wall. I tightened the shellplate screw as per manual's spec.

I'll be out a couple of days so I may not be answering soon but I'll sure consider carefully every suggestion you'll be sending.

Edited by mccoy

It sounds like you index lever is not adjusted properly. It is a large finger like piece on the left side of the press on the press body. When you cycle the press and lower the press arm back down this finger contacts a ramped peice under the shell plate and advances it forward. you need to move this finger forwards or backwards depending on which way it needs to go.

I removed the shell plate
I can partially solve the problem by using my finger as a brake at the shellplate at the end of the cycle, doesn't work all the time unfortunately.

Sounds like you might have dropped the detent ball into that little pocket under the shell plate. At any rate the shell plate should “click” into place and your finger dragging won’t have any effect on its final resting place.

Thanks you all for the tips

I'm just back home, I'm going to check that index lever ASAP

I'm sure I checked the detent ball before reassembing the shellplate and it was on top of its spring in its pocket.

I could feel no click of the shellplate...

All right, I'll mail Dillon if unable to fix the problem.

:cheers:

I've had the same problem with my 650. Somethings that I have found that make some difference are:

1) Slight play in the bolts that hold the primer station in place;

2) Slight play in the bolts that hold the silver table on which the shell plate mounts;

3) Dirt in the holes of the primer wheel;

4) Dirt in the grooves of the shell plate that hold the rim of the case;

I have had the best performance keeping everything as clean as possible and loosening and then re-tightening the bolts that hold the primer station while the primer punch is in the primer pocket (i.e. no primers in the primer system and the handle held forward). This seems to align the primer system with the case in the shell plate.

BTW, the ball bearing under the plate determinees the index positions. If there is any dirt or debris on the ball or in the holes on the underside of the plate, you may have problems as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Pedro and sorry for the late reply, the problem goes on, I was just checking this thread before writing to Dillon, I'm going to check all the details you indicated, the adjustment of the primer station with the primer punched into the case pocket also sounds pretty good to me.