Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visualization

I just got a new SS rig and after getting the holster bent to my liking I did some draws.

(I've shot for years with a competetive but not fast by a means draw, probably have not drawn from a holster for over a year)

So the gun came onto target (me in a mirror to notice any problems) left, right, high, low, backwards??

After about 10 draws I thinks to myself this is BS. So i decide to do something i've never done that I can remember.

I visualize my sights setting over the place on the target I want them to be. Then I just draw and the gun superimposes

itself right there. Cool I thinks. Then again, again, etc........... No thought to the draw, the mechanics, just the picture I wanted to see as the outcome. I've used visualization for ever but always as a moving thing like a movie. Like the whole draw process as a movie, not a static image. Anyhow there it is.

Brian's book has nice sections on the draw and natural point of aim that talks about something similar. If you work through his process, at the end you'll be able to look at a target, close your eyes, draw, open your eyes and the front sight will be right where you want it....like magic :cheers:

I believe he also used to do a demo where he'd draw the gun, sight on a smallish steel plate, holster, close his eyes, draw and shoot the plate with his eyes closed. It's all based on visualization and teaching the body to follow what you're visualizing in your mind's eye. And people wonder how the top guys are so fast....

I should add that I don't want to put words into Benos' mouth/book, and that the above is just my interpretation of what the book says so if I missed something (it's been a few months since I've re-re-re-re-read anything in his book) please feel free to correct me.