Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People who duck jury duty

mpolans

Since so many people want to be jurors and they ultimately "enjoy the experience", maybe we need a system in this country where jury duty is done on a volunteer basis?

Hold on now, I don't want jurors that are too excited about being there, they tend to be the little nazi types who see the world only in terms of black and white, and are simply looking for an opportunity to exercise power over others. I understand reluctance, and I know it can be inconvenient. I want jurors who understand it's important and necessary to serve when called, and who are willing to perform their duty to our judicial system, and our society at large, even though it may be inconvenient. I consider those people my peers, and I ever got called into court as a defendant myself, I would want to be judged by my peers.

Around here if you don't show for jury duty when summoned, about every `12-18 months, the kind master issues a Warrant for your arrest. Does this lead to irritation, reluctance and disrespect toward the court business? My guess is that it might. Voluntary and being able to choose would be a nice thing. Maybe someday they will let us choose .

Well, one could say we "choose" to be a U.S. citizens.

It is, you want to vote? You just volunteered.

I didn't register to vote, and I was still selected for jury duty.

Well, one could say we "choose" to be a U.S. citizens.

I'm not sure how I chose to be a U.S. citizen. I'm pretty sure I was just born that way.

Carmoney just gave me idea. If I act eager to be on the jury, maybe I'll get labelled as a control freak/Nazi-type person and get excused. That just might work!! Thanks for the insight into how a lawyer thinks. That is just the type of information I've been looking for. Please continue with your stereotypes on people. I'll do everything I can to mimic those stereotypes and hopefullly go back to my day job!! Thank you. I'll be following this thread very carefully now.