Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open Shooter

shoot

Hello:

I will keep it simple. I'm new to open. I've been shooting production and reached a point that open might help me through some issues.

What are some drills to help learn open and the nuances or difference of going from production to open

Like a production with a glock where trigger prep and good sight picture double tap vs a blazing fast slap with a dot that hovers in the A zone. Holy cow you can be fast but how do you drill to make that speed work. How do you find your limits such as how many shots before a popper drops and activates a mover. How many shots in 1.5 sec? Holy cow ... a bunch . Seems only limited by imagination and knowing one's self.

I love Be's drill on transitions Part I at least. I would love to know more. ie drills and sources such as books, DVD's anything that has helped you become a better open shooter.

Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Subscribing to this thread. Will be looking for input too. Especially stuff on picking up the dot quicker. My draw and first shot time has gone to crap with a dot. The rest not to bad.

Jim

Subscribing to this thread. Will be looking for input too. Especially stuff on picking up the dot quicker. My draw and first shot time has gone to crap with a dot. The rest not to bad.

Jim

I put up some targets in the house and DRY FIRED for 30 minutes a night. 25 minutes just drawing and finding the dot on the target.

When you have the strong hand down, then start weak hand.

Larry

Sometimes new Open shooters will struggle with looking at the dot after a transition, rather than at the target. Take a think piece of cardboard, or similar and make a cutout in the shape of the C-More lens. Tape that across the front (towards the muzzle) of the C-More and then dry fire. If you make a transition and all you're seeing is the cardboard and the dot, you've switching focus back and forth. After a while that will go away....you often see this when new Open shooters transition onto a target and have trigger freeze because suddenly they're getting a different input than what they had one target prior. R,

Sometimes new Open shooters will struggle with looking at the dot after a transition, rather than at the target. Take a think piece of cardboard, or similar and make a cutout in the shape of the C-More lens. Tape that across the front (towards the muzzle) of the C-More and then dry fire. If you make a transition and all you're seeing is the cardboard and the dot, you've switching focus back and forth. After a while that will go away....you often see this when new Open shooters transition onto a target and have trigger freeze because suddenly they're getting a different input than what they had one target prior. R,

Like it has been said before it's like double vision .. seeing double when pushing speed out of comfort zone takes a lot maku mozo. If the dot is present in the A of one of the two then it's slap 2 call the shot and transition to the next. It's tough to keep both eyes open even with a dot. That is however what I'm asking.

What kind of drills to test the limits of open when one wants to go from production to open. Squinting ( cross eye dominant)production iron to double vision eyes open with a dot.... I'm just figuring if one of em has a dot at center mass fly baby fly ... Is this correct thinking?

shoot

Dry fire dry fire dry fire. Practice your draws in slow motion until you get to where you can find that dot instatly every single time then start picking up the pace. Do the same with your transistions, start slow and once you get to where you can nail two A's every time pick up the speed.

When it comes to live fire, DOUBLE PLUG! Run the best plugs you can find under the best muffs you can find. This will help cut down on flinching thanks to the extra noise from an Open gun. Also, when practicing don't just throw rounds down range, make every shot count for something. It could be working on transitions, draws, movement or whatever but make them count.

To me switching from one division to another is like training a brand new shooter, go slow and be very mindful of safety. Once you get the basics down you can go faster. From what I have noticed the hardest things for those moving into Open to get a grip on are: Focus on the target and move the dot to where you want the bullet to go instead of looking at the sights. Ammo managment, going from ten round mags to ones that can hold up to 28 or more rounds means you have to rethink when and where you change mags. When I started out I was so use to ten rounders I would drop mags that were still 1/2 to 2/3 full. After a few weeks of that the lightbulb went on and I realized, "Hey dummy you don't have to reload on most of the stages you shoot!!". From that point on I have gotten better at the game.

And anyone that tells you there is nothing left for them to learn has a LOT left to learn. Sometimes it is just a simple little thing such as foot placement or while running letting your heal touch (not hit) the ground and roll your foot down instead of landing flat footed (a must for shooting on the move).

Joe W.

It is so nice to have eyes open. It's getting more natural and the instant input to call the shot and snap vision is like speed reading verses taking notes and pondering philosophy. Not quite that bad but relatively it feels that way.

I haven't double plugged mainly because I'm trying to hear that b in beep and avoid a draw that anticipates too much.

I also want to get an airsoft open like my glock airsoft but Limcat's are expensive and I'm not sure weather to build one or save up to get a Limcat. 750 - 800 bucks or more is a lot but it's nice to shoot everyday and have a feel for improvment.

Also with my 22lr Mark II target that I use to shoot bulleye with I put a cmore on it and although it was a hoot doing movment drills and steel racks when I went back to my open the open index was way off and it was supprising how long it took to get it back. Now I'm thinking using the Mark II to offset ammo cost may be a mistake.

Anyone know if a marvel 22lr conversion would hold the zero?