Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd jam on FN SLP

Brian Payne

Gun has ran perfect for the first 300 rounds, shooting mainly Walmart Federal cheap stuff.

At the Tri-gun Challenge I switched to higher quality ammo and had two jams with Fiochi ammo. The round came out of the magazine but didn't get all the way into the chamber, bolt stuck half way home.

I was able to replicate this jam by slowly hand cycling Fiochi rounds through the gun, but couldn't get it to jam that way with Walmart Federals or Remington Nitro (gold hulls) or any Rio shells on hand. I did get it to jam this way one time by using Winchester AA shells.

Not sure if the jam is caused by different sized rounds from one manufacturer to another, or possibly the extractor not letting the rim of the case slide into position.

Simple answer is "use the rounds that work" but I am curious if anyone else has run into a jam like this while using the FN SLP, or any other brand of 12 ga., and if so, what they found the problem to be.

Getting ready for the RM3G so any help appreciated.

I have been using the FN SLP for about a year now. For the most part it has run very well with one exception. I have mostly used Rio 7.5 3 dram 1 1/18 oz loads with absolutely no problems. At CTI in July I tried Rio #6's and the gun gagged the same way as you described above.

When I got home I checked the brass measurement on the 6's vs. 7.5's and the 6's were slightly larger. This would leave me to believe that the minor size difference cause the jam.

I have also used Federal #6 cheap shells and they run fine as well as the Winchester AA's. I will stick with Rio 7.5's and Federal 6's from here on out.

The fiocchi 7.5's wouldn't feed right through my old 1100, seemed to be slighty of a larger OAL than anything else I else I had on hand. Switched to the SX2 and run only Winchester Super Target 7.5's and use Fiocchi low recoil slugs. No feed/cycle probs.

My $0.02, try different shells.

• 2 weeks later...

Found my problem.

Just prior to having these weird malfunctions I had installed the Nordic Component +1 extention, but left the factory mag spring in place. Once I put in the longer supplied spring from Nordic all has been well. Apparently the shells were not being released with enough vigor to keep things running smoothly.

So once again, pilot error rears its ugly head.

Edited by Brian Payne