Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing for Rob Leatham's "Ultimate Test"

PhotoRecon

Our range has a couple of great Bianchi Plate racks. We enjoy shooting Rob's "Ultimate Test" on the plate rack with 1911's and revolvers.

What is the best method for practicing to shoot Rob's test? Shoot all four distances alllot or shoot from the 25 yard distance all the time, etc.?

Regards...

I practice from where I miss. (*when I practiced)

Which, in practice, often puts me back to 35y or so. (but, those hits can disappear in the match...somehow :) )

It is good to know where to hold, where the gun hits, and what the sights need to look like...on each distance.

Last year I practiced using all four distances and started at 10 yards and worked back. I ran the actual test just over 200 times so I think I have a good feel for how things went with that method.

This year I've started practicing only at the 25 yard distance and although 9 seconds is allowed, I try to keep the firing at a fast pace.

Now, after changing my training technique, when I run the test I start at 25 yards and go forward. The closer targets seem huge to me and it seems like they're easy to knock down. Maybe its all in my mind but practicing at the longest distance sure seems to work for me.

Regards...