Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B Brass

Rolex

I was once given 500 pieces of S&B .45 ACP brass and I use it for my important match ammo. The primers DO seat deeper, which is perfect for my 625. I have had this stuff for years and shot many matches with it, obviously reloading it many times. I get all my brass back with the moonclips and I don't think I have experienced any split cases or other issues.

I do have problems with tight primer pockets in S&B .38 Special. Reloading these is definitely not worth the effort to me.

I haven't noticed any problems when reloading the .40 but I get only a few pieces of S&B brass when I scavenge and therefore do not load it in quantity.

I recently broke the crank on my 550 from forcing too many primers to seat deeper, mostly for revolvers with lightened springs. My 650 always seats the primers much more efficiently, but is dedicated to .45 ACP while the 550 was constantly being caliber converted. I have since solved all these problems by using stronger springs in my revolvers so that I don't have to obsess about primer seating depth.

Dave Sinko

I liked S & B until found one made of steel. The head stamp shows S & B 9mm Luger, it has a brass coating and red coated primer. My magnet really likes it, just check the cases with a magnet! I hate A Merc it will jam in your chamber. :roflol:
I have found a bunch of the 9mm with the red on the primer, and the case is metal with brass plating on them. Take a magnet to them.

Well, kiss my grits! The above made me curious and while processing some range brass this afternoon, had a few S&B 9MM in the bunch...ran over with a magnet and yep, a couple were brass-coated steel. Checked some I had loaded up and sure enough, 3 of them were also steel. Impossible to tell from brass by looking but I strongly suspect that these are the ones hanging up the press while seating. IMO, this wouldn't be so bad if they were up front with it ala, Wolf but this stuff is made to look exactly like brass. The steel stuff may be "safe" to reload but I'm not too keen on running it through my machines...or guns either, for that matter. My S&B inventory has a new home in the "shoot once & leave it" bucket....