Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perception At Speed

Kyle Norris

Ok, all this talk about what we see at high speed has got me thinking. A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to take TJ's class when it was offered nearby. One of the disscussions in this class was about altered visual perception at speed. Todd stated you will only see approximately 1/3-1/2 of the actual amount of movement is the sight when shooting at speed. I've been calling many D and marginal C hits that later turn out to be misses. The solution to the problem, as has been pointed out to me here, is increasing my visual patience. However, I'm wondering if anyone else has experinced this phenomenon? And are there any ways to increase you perception of what is actually going on?

Interesting.

I see as much sight as I want to see.

For example, when I shot the 1.5ish Bill Drill, I was very aware of the entire arc of the sight, and waited for it to settle before firing again.

I MAY not have seen the very top, but I certainly saw it come down from the top soon enough to make the difference insignificant.

It's kinda like dot lift in the open guns. You may think you have the ultimate Flat load, but if you go looking for dot lift, you'll find plenty. In that case, in our normal shooting awareness we may be looking at the target while the dot settles...Maybe the same is true for irons.

Bottom line: See what YOU need to see to make the shot required.

That's why the mantra of FRONT SIGHT FRONT SIGHT doesn't really work, except for a stage that requires exclusively that type of focus.

I would suggest firing doubles at a target from 10 feet to 25 yards, shooting only as fast as you are able to call A's with absolute certainty. This will teach you what you need to see...

Enjoy the journey,

SA

Ditto on what Steve said about the doubles. I've been trying recently to decrease my split times and I started firing aimed pairs and strings of six to ten shoots while watching the front sight. I was experimenting with different grip pressures and amount of camming down with my left wrist to see how the path of the front sight was affected and recovery time. While I was doing this I noticed if I let the gun settle I was getting splits of around .25 -.30 to the point of aim. If I didn't let the gun settle I got splits in the .15 -.20 about 1" low left, but to me visually it seemed like the point of aim. Eventually I began seeing the gun paused at a point 1" low left. My subconscious could see the sights near the point of aim, could see the gun was still, knew it was close enough and gave the command to squeeze the trigger. It just took a little time for me to tune in to what was going on. When I did that it I got the feeling of being a third party watching someone else shoot. I now know the feeling and I know I just need more practice (experience) to do it on demand.