Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter and safety !

GARD72977

Hey guys im new here and a little embarresed of myself about what im going to post. I really need a good swift kick in the pants.

Well here is the story - I was at my second steel match satruday morning. I was in a group of about 7 people with a new (unexperenced RO ) we were a few shooters into the stage and the RO was handling a junior shooter in the box. We had a two guys that were new to shooting steel but are long term members of our club (more on this later) one of the guys walks to the safe table and pulls out a mag and starts loading it. I watch in disbeleif ! I am as green as a cucumber and know better ! I look at the RO and he is wrapped up with the kid.

At this point I should have said something and I did not. That is what I am upset about. I am very unsure of myself at the matches and try to be low key. I watched the guy load the mag and did nothing. I felt bad about getting the guy DQed and getting the new RO to DQ him. My mistake!

Come to find out these two guys (freinds) were great shooters. They are both accomplished in other disiplines of shooting. The guy that loaded the mag has been IHMSA match director. I just dont think they had enough respect for what was going on. I learned a lot from this event. I have had a guilty consence since the match.

You can never go wrong by saying "STOP!"or "Cease Fire!" and bringing the concern to the attention of the range staff.

You CAN go wrong by letting stuff go.

Years ago a good friend of mine visited a range down south where Gunny Hathcock was teaching a bunch of snipers.

The range was cleared hot and they were commencing firing.

My friend walked on the range and said hello and looked downrange and immediately screamed at the top of his lungs "CEASE FIRE!"

Downrange a couple kids had climbed over from the backside of the berm and were standing on top of the berm to see what was going on.

No one had noticed them until my buddy called the cease fire.

Don't be shy because you're new.

Keep us all safe.

JK