Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA ESP and SSP Weight Limits

vincent

I was reviewing the rule book the other day and noticed that the line containing the "box rule" also contains a weight limit. The limit is 43oz for ESP and 41oz for CDP for the pistol and an empty magazine. I see the box being used pretty frequently at matches. Has anyone been to a match where a gun was weighed?

Since each club is issued a box, I've box checked it whenever I changed something. However I haven't weighed it. Do most of you weight your guns?

Thanks,

-Vincent

Well just to be sure, I borrowed a postal scale and weighed my CDP guns last night. Both are early Kimber Classic Customs modified with slim wood grips and steel mainspring housings. One has an S&A magwell ground down to match the diameter of the slim grips and the other has a Wilson magwell. Both magwells have been hogged out to match the bevel on the frame. The magazine used was a Wilson 8 rounder with a .625 plastic basepad that has been ground off at an angle in the front to fit in the box. Both guns with the empty magazine weighed in at about 39.5 oz. That is not much room for error, especially since I removed a lot of metal from the S&A. It's good to know for sure they are legal!

I would be interested in seeing what an older Colt without front cocking serrations, normal wood grips, S&A magwell, steel full length guide rod, and adjustable sights weighs including an empty 8 round mag. I would think that this is the setup that the CDP weight limit was based on so I would assume it would be right at the limit.

Inquiring minds want to know :)

I have never seen a gun weighed at a match including all of the Nationals and a lot of state matches. Of course that doesn't mean somebody won't try it at the next match you go to. :rolleyes: I have seen it several times where you had to draw your gun from the box. Last year at the Nationals you had to go hot from a stage to the chrono and put your loaded gun in the box just before they chronographed it.

Bill Nesbitt

• 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting IDPA for over a year now and I have never seen a weapon weighed before. I understand the handgun you use must be able to fit in "the box" rule. When did they start putting weight limits on your handgun? Well if I ever go to a match and the RO whips out a scale for my weapon, I'm gonna whip out an eye chart him. :lol:

The weight limits have been around since the beginning for both ESP and CDP class and are clearly set out in the rulebook. No total weight restrictions for SSP or SSR. It would be completely legal for an SO to call for a weapon to be weighed at a match. However, I've never seen it done - thus the reason for this thread. :)