Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions on CMMG bargain bid M4

chp5

I picked up a CMMG "bargain bin" M4 wanna-be today from a friend for $600 :goof:

It is a CMMG lower and an unmarked M4-type barrel. I couldn't resist for $600. It looks new. He paid $650 for it from CMMG.

Questions:

* who makes the CMMG lowers?

* how can I tell the twist rate of this unmarked barrel?

* how can I tell if it's chrome lined?

Thx.

Edited by chp5

CMMG lowers are nice. I think they used to be made by DPMS.

You can stick a tight cleaning rod/brush in the bore, pull it till it revolves once and measure.

If the barrel is new you can see a gray frosting at the crown and chamber.

you could take a Q-tip of cold-blue and see if it darkens a spot in the chamber, if it doesn't, it's chrome.

My CMMG 6.8 was marked on the bottom, under the handguards.

IMGP4551.jpg

Edited by Derek45

Seems like the "bargin bin" guns were made from a variety of spare parts they had on hand, from a number of different manufacturers. Have you tried removing the handguards and seeing if the barrel is marked under there.

I'm told the lowers are currently being built by LAR.

We have CMMG and DPMS stripped lowers in stock currently. With the exception of the logo and serial number, they look exactly the same. Same finish coloring, everything is the same. We go through a lot of lowers and there usually is subtle differences if you look hard enough. I don't see any on these.

So, for the ones currently shipping out in the last month or so, I would say that they are ocming from the same machine shop that is making them for DPMS. Of course, next month, that might not be true.

They are both made by a company called LAR Manufacturing. Not sure if this is current but as of last year, the made lowers for Grizzly, Bushmaster (L Prefix), Ameetech, DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton, Spike's Tactical, Noveske (new).

I have a couple of stripped lowers and for fit & finish, they are very nice.