Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win Sx2 Vs. Browning Gold

Scooter

Can someone tell me what kind of gas piston is in your SX2? Is there one set of holes or two sets on the piston.

The reason I'm asking this is because I was helping someone clean their X2 field gun with a 3" chamber, and I notice that Winchester was using a different piston than the Browning Gold. The Win had the gas piston that has two sets of holes. This is the one that comes on the 3.5" Brownings. It can only move about 1" to operate the bolt. My 3" Browning has the piston with one set of holes. The piston can move about 2-3". Browning does sell both piston and labels one for light/target loads and the other for heavy loads. Could this be a possible reason why some people are having reliablity problems?

Would like to know the same thing & possibly obtain the other piston if it would allow me to shoot lighter loads; my 1 1/8 Oz Clays loads would not operate the SX2; I switched to Universal Clays and the loads work 100%, albeit w/ more recoil. Similiar experience w/ Red Dot & Green Dot loads and the low recoil remington slugs do not run 100%.

• 4 weeks later...

guys,

I meant to reply before but there have been some technical difficulties.

My 3.5 inch SX2 has a two series of holes piston. I have had some real trouble trying to shoot hot 65mm loads through it with the gun trying to feed 2 rounds into the feed tray and jamming up. I figured I solved the issue by using 70mm cases that the gun was really designed for. With 70mm it works like a dream.

I am about to start using it for 3 gun shooting but have just noticed I am already handicapped because the actual receiver is 2 inches longer than a 11/87, hence in lengths for modified the length for a extended tube has to be 2 inches shorter and takes a round out of the mag capacity, as compared to an 11/87.

In the division I compete in (against mainly remmys) I am now, having to use 70mm cases (UK rules), 3 to 4 rounds light from the normal guns using 65mm's. Whilst I know in a big stage I can load that extra 4 in seconds, it still means I am loading whilst I shoud be spinting !

I will still give it a go as its the only SX2 on the circuit in the UK but it still means I have to already work harder to achieve the standard load capacity with my competitors. I would be interested to hear any SX2 users views in the US open catagory as to how they compare :blink: .

Mike