Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production And Standard Guns...

Kiddo

Hi! I'm currently shooting production with a CZ75 compact and I'm currently pondering on whether to get a better gun for production or get a new gun for standard. What do you think? Which division and what gun should I get if I choose production? standard? How much will the cost be?

kiddo,

it's always better to buy more guns. :D

if your cz is 9mm, it would be perfect for production, since production is scored minor.

if your going to standard, limited (in the states), limited-10 you'll need a 40 cal and above to score major, which is what you want. you can do a search on the type gun to buy in these forums. you can get into a para ordinance limited for around $750-$800 u.s.

lynn jones

Hi,

I had a CZ75 9mm but I switched to a Glock 17 for shooting IPSC Production Division.

Although I still miss my CZ (had to sell it because I needed the money), the Glock suits me better for IPSC PD. Advantages (for me) are:

- No need to manually lower the cock with all the inherent risks,

- All shots have the same trigger pull, whereas the CZ will force you to use DA and then SA for subsequent shots,

- No need to operate external safeties,

- Faster swinging to targets and easier to stop on target because of lesser weight

- The grip suits me better.

I prefer Production Division because of it's simplicity with respect to the guns used. No funny stuff like exotic parts, trigger jobs, etcetera. Just the basic gun and you as the operator. But that's just what I like.

Hey Kiddo, are you the same Kiddo back over at BOGs-GT? ;)

Welcome to the BE forums.

You can be competitve in any division you shoot in. However, your CZ compact, capacity-wise, will seriously hurt you when you start running with the top dawgs in Production. Take it from a used-to-be Glock 19 shooter FWIW.

Personally, I love the 1911 platform not only because it points better for me but because of the variety of aftermarket parts (well, back here anyway) and the smiths that knows how to fix it. Try running your CZ in Production for a while then re-think your options and wants. Try-out as many guns as you can. Pretty soon you'll have a better view of what you really need to be able to keep yourself "up there in the list". :)

I just acquired an Armscor 40cal and it's going straight to my smith. Total cost (gun + work (with STI parts)) would be about P56K (~$1.1K). It seems expensive until you realize back here a stock Para can cost us close to P75K (~$1.5K) and an STI at P120K (~$2.5K). ;)

So with 56K, you can get an Armscor .40? Is that already customed for Standard division? Is it as reliable as a Para or STI already after the custom job? What do you think of the CZ Standard IPSC? How much is it?

I have an HK USP .45 std and I use it to shoot in both production and standard divisions. Its a pretty good gun out of the box capable of tight groups and the trigger is no slouch either(for me at least) and it costs only 55,000 php. Used to shoot a stock norinco 1911(still do at times) and did well with it, but the HK is much much better.

• 4 weeks later...

What I like about Production Division is that you're limited to what you can do to your pistol and still be legal for Prod. Div. That translates to less money spent to customize (or not customize). Used to shoot a Glock 22 for production division. changed to a CZ 85 recently and found it really helped my time and score bec. of the sweet trigger pull of the CZ. Transitioning from DA to SA is not a big problem bec. I'm used to the glock trigger.

Try out the full size CZ's first and see how it compares with your compact model 75. I think you're disadvantaged by the magazine capacity of the compact model.

IMHO, if you really want to run with the top dawgs, you have to compete in open division!