Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

nate's range/match diary

safenate

My first 3 gun, Area 8 Jun 28 2008- Anxious but prepared. I still don't understand the difference in Limited/Tactical/etc, but got it corrected.

Gear:

Pistol- G34 with Lightning Strike s/s rod, Glockmiester brass magwell, Mepro night sights in Uncle Mike's belt loop holster

Mags- 5 stock G17 mags, in a 4 mag flexible nylon holder 1x4, not 2x2

Ammo- handloads with various range brass, 115 MT JHP over 4.5 gr Bullseye, WSP, at 1.14"

Rifle- Coltmaster with 16" pencil brl, YH Alum FF Tube (rifle length), regular bird cage, Samco pistol grip, folding stock with CAA cheekpiece

Optic- M3 2 MOA Aimpoint zero'd at 50 yds

Mags- 3 classic GI alum, black followers, 1 in a single flexible nylon holder (belt),

Ammo- factory PMC 55 fmj

Shotgun- M590 with neoprene stock +6 holder & Mossberg ghostring rear/ blade front (sighted for slugs at 25 yd)

Mag- M60 mag pouch (holds 60+ rounds); left over from Navy days

Ammo- factory winchester light target, Winchester low recoil slug

I tried to wear all my gear, in the same configuration, thru the whole match. From my tactical days, i don't want to have to think about every stage and where i put the ??? on my belt that stage. As expected, hiccups on every other stage. A fumbled AR mag change, a light strike on the G34, and FTE a full metric at 3 yds with AR... BUT what a blast!

Pros:

Go to the match a day early to see the actual stages

Taking one shot at 3 clays at 20yds, works with a stock M590 barrel: one hole per clay, aim at the center of the group!

Slugs really do shoot well at 50 yds, in the kneeling...

200 yds isn't too far for a 16" pencil barrel, properly sighted Aimpoint, 55 FMJ PMC ammo, and some practice

Who cares if the ground is wet, go prone at 200 yd targets...

Discreetly discuss inconsistancies with RSOs

Lessons Learned (LL):

Watch the shooters before you

Engage every target, 4 holes is better than 0 holes (re-engage just in case)

I think everyone's first 3 gun match should be free! Then it would be just like crack!

Edited by safenate

• 3 weeks later...

After reloading with HS6, to burn it up, i shot some Bill Drills today at 7 yds. Went thru about 200 rounds, 6 at a time. Most of my first shots were 1.2-1.3 seconds, then a pause (think i have arthritis), then splits of .18-.25. Most of my 6 shot strings were about 2.3 with fair accuracy (not all A's). It is hard to tell inside on paper how the hits go, unless i change the paper every time. This drill would work best at the outdoor range with paperplates on my 6-target stands. Hoping to have steel soon, then record on tape for study/playback (or until i can 'observe' my shots at this speed). Best times were 2.06, unsure on hits.

FYI, HS6 is sooty and 200 rounds leaves my arms filthy. That was 6.5 gr under a 115 MT JHP at 1.14" w/ WSP from a G34. Flash and smoke were low and brass was moderately dirty. There was some tan residue around the muzzle/front sight. Pistol was pretty hot as well.

Also, got a Arrendo +5 mag extension (& the correct spring) and it has about 100 rounds thru it. Will look to acquire more for Limited play. Would prefer over Lighting Strike aluminum one, only is +2.

OH, and i'm a C L-10 shooter, who has been 'out of the sport' for a five years.

Edited by safenate

So went to a new range this weekend for a local match. Ended up with some great examples. Had a good time and learned some lessons.

Most stages went well with one M on the transition to weak hand - practice weakhand more. Note to self on steel at distance - make them count. Only dropped 2 extra on a 20 plate stage. The Arredondo +6 worked well in first match. Loading up to 23 is a nice start to a stage; need to get more of them. May be time to try the Lightning Strike striker before the next weekend's local steel challenge.

Another local steel challenge today, ending in rain for the last stage. Shot well. I like the HS6 under FMJs but they are dirty and the indoor won't allow the lead base. Maybe all the trigger time over the last 5 weeks have just made my shooting better. Though faster, i still missed at least one on almost each stage. I kept looking over the sights to see the target move. The Arredondo +5's are working fine; outfitted 5 mags with them. Need to practice on the 22 more for transitions.

200 rounds of fmj at indoor today. Practiced strong & weak only at 10 yds. About 10% out of the 6" center. Slow fire. Concentrated on the reset. Smooth, steady pull worked well; jerking didn't (surprise!). First mag of left hands went off much before intended as i have not practiced weak only with the new 3.5# trigger. Had three light strikes in 200 rounds. Win SP primers; did not guage all the FMJ ammo but all the light strikes did fire second time. Some had mentioned replacing the Lightning Strike guide rod for the original. Also consider putting in the Lightning Strike striker OR the entire Glockworx Folcrum system. I'm looking for AA kit for cheaper practice w/o the recoil (think i may have some arthritis building). Reload, shoot, & repeat for now.

Some 22/45 practice: got a whole mag down the tube on a 1'x1' target at 7 yds in 2.25 seconds. Splits were .14 (twice), some 15's, mostly 16-18's. 1100 rounds of 22 last week and 200 9x19. Still getting 2-3" high at 20m with the G34. Need to get adjustable rear. Hate going thru 3 sights and still TOO high.

Bill drills: 2.45-2.6 getting 5 or 6 on 1'x1' paper at 7 yds from holster. Some faster, 2.3, but only 4-5 on paper. Started dropping them low on/off paper. First shot likely 1.3-4 splits likely .18-19 (ish).

200 rounds of Amer. Select today, DAMN CLEAN powder. 4.9 grains is mid 1100's and super clean with barely notice of flash with the indoor lights turned off. 5.2 is max, leaving plenty of room for error and 4.9 barely leaves room for a 115 gr MG JHP. Great for minor, may rethink the Bullseye for bulk powder purchase. Need to check if Amer Sel will make major for 40/45 and how well it works for 38Spec & 357M.

Started with Draws- mostly 1.2 then down to 1.08/9, most on 1'x1' paper at 7 yds. Noticed most shots were low/right. Practice more at home.

Then to Bill Drills: 2.4 down to 2.08/9, mostly on paper at 7 yds. Getting better sight picture during blasting. Most 1st shot were 1.18-.21 with most splits .18/9. 2 or 3 splits were 16s.

Then to reload drills- 1'x1' paper at 7 yds, 5 mags 2 rounds each: draw, reloadx4. 9.14 was best time, 8-10 on paper. Only did 6 runs of this and bif'd nearly one reload per drill. Most reloads were 1.6-7 with one 1.4, splits about .2; expect sub-9 if all loads went well.

Awesome shoot at York IWLA today. Low 80's, 1/2 overcast, 1/2 woods, light breeze, 4 good classifiers, & 4 fun stages.

I realized today, i don't use the sights much during matchs. When i did, it was almost an accident (except for one mover when i called a M). Movers blow. I need to practice them much more. Hit them at the 'stop'. See my note in "stage messups" about the reshoot on my 'bad' classifier.

Also blew a fun stage with 2 M, 1 FTE. Forgot one reload, quick recovery though. One FTFire with slow recovery, need to practice Malfunction drills.

I FEEL like the 4 classifiers went well today. This is my first time in Limited and try to pace myself with the faster (NOT fastest) guys in my squad. Most shoots felt slow, but times were pretty even with those i felt were above my level. I really felt like the gun came up pretty good, then the sights leveled off, the slack kept coming out, then the noise started. After the first shots, i really don't recall using the sights at anything closer than 10 yds. I think getting in 3 good shooting days a week is paying off. Reloads felt smooth, fast & in control.

Moving isn't very smooth but i have rarely ever practiced it. I would like to practice some shooting on the move & compare times/accuracy between the two; future reading here too.

Bring a hat. Bring a protien bar. Bring more fluids.

Shot the KKM/LW upper today but swapped the rear plates, no problems on any loads. The LW/KKM setup seems pretty tight esp. with hot loads. Loaded 115s up to 1375 fps today and shot them to 100 yds, very tight. Need more powder to make major or go heavier 121/124s and start over.

Also shot the steel dad got for me today. At 20 yds offhand the 8"x7" steel looks like a good practice size. It took 40 of 50 quick shots with only mild shiny spots on it. With just a bolt thru the middle, it can/did spin. With it only on a 2x4, it also spun in the hole a bit. This is not a big problem, but is annoying. Shots could get deflected pretty bad to the sides. At least one bullet hit the bolt, very minor damage. This setup may not last for 200-300 rounds of sustained practice. One direct hit made hole in wood. One deflected off the bottom of the steel caused splatter damage on the post. There is barely noticable sound of a hit. Perhaps a bolt behind the steel would cause more sound signature.

Ahhh, STEEL! Got dad's 1/4" steel up on a 2x4 post and it is nice to have immediate response while practicing. The plates are about 7x8" with a hole in the middle. I just use a bolt to attach them to a 2x4 then drop the other 2x4 end into a buried 5" pvc pipe. It rotates a bit, but not too bad. 22LR doesn't seem to chew up the washer or bolt but 9mm plus wears on the washer, eventually making the plate loose on the post. When the steel is tight against the wood, there isn't too much sound signature. Perhaps putting a bolt into the post underneath the plate would make better sound. In time i'd like to get all 3 plates onto 2x4 or 4x4 posts to practice El Prez, etc. The size would also make good practice for 100 yd AR15 and maybe 50 yd slug work. This steel has handled 223 as fast as i could pull the trigger from 7 yards and shoot hold up to much abuse.

Took the S&W 617 today to burn up some LRN ammo. At 20 yds i need to hold dead center of the steel to get 10/10. Perhaps other ammo would be better, or maybe cleaning would help. I forgot a mag for the Ruger 22/45. The G34 with Mil surplus ammo shoot low & left at 20 yds on the steel. That ammo knocked the washer out on the shooting face, causing lead to splash into the bolt & allowed damage to the 2x4 post (splitting). Steel is fun, but eats ammo, quickly! Good for 22 practice though. Need to get an AA conversion for practice on steel (for volume).

OH BOY! 200+ round 9x19. Got a 1.99 6 shot bill drill from 7 yds, on 7x8" steel, all hits. It was my only sub 2 for the day and about half were 6/6 on steel. Most all hits were 2.2 ish. Had some serious cycling issues today. Perhaps 4.2 gr of Univ. at 1.14" under a 115 is too light. Burn marks on the brass, but had issues with 10% of the ammo. Shot best in my new open upper, so i swapped the guide rod in that for the one in my stock G34 upper. It got better, but still had some issues. Some splits were .15, most 17-19s though. The Ciener kit for my buddy's G17 didn't work well on the G34. The mag bases on the conversion hits the GlockMiester magwell. It shoots a few shots, then didn't feed a round. Tap, rack, ready worked, but got old (quickly). Draws were about 1.1-.2 with 60% hits. Taking an extra .02 sec makes the difference between hit/miss.

Also took 200+ rounds of 22LR for the 22/45. That thing is fast. Good practice for moving. The FO front on that really stands out well. Very easy to find. Reconsidering the same for the G34. Still need adjustable rear for the G34 as none of the rears i have match up with any of the fronts i have. Currently rounds are good to about 10 yds, then start going up to 3" high at 25 yd.

• 4 weeks later...

Two weeks ago i did a requal (Glock & M4) for redeployment. Though free ammo & range time is nice, it is painfully slow & dictated practice. Some techniques required for class are NOT IPSC friendly: overhand slide grab...

Today was the York IWLA rifle (4 stage) & pistol (5 stage).

Rifle: We started rifle: 7 8x10" steel targets at 50, 75, & 85. One position per yardline, but the grass was too high to see the 85 prone. Rifle was ColtMaster pencil with 2 MOA Aimpoint & 55 gr FMJ PMC. I shot the 50 from a tactical stance, 85 kneeling, 75 prone with 4 rounds left in the mag. Missed one/two at each line & had one turn on me at 85 requiring a followup. The second rifle was 16 oval at 15 yds, nothing special, just keep your targets straight and don't DOUBLE UP, if you don't have to. Third was 11 half size targets at 20 yds behind 4 NO shoots at 10 yds. Plan your shoot & shoot your plan. This went well after mentally walking thru it several times. The 4th stage was very quick: 8 full size at 15 yds, 4 from each side of wall. No prob.

Pistol: 1st stage was a back & forth fun stage with 2 activated swingers. I tried to limit my movements, but also am trying to shoot on the move more. It went well, clean. The second was all very close work (< 7 yd) but lots of footwork. Perhaps shooting on the move suits me b/c that stage was great. NO Sights, all As. I'm not sure no sights is a good idea, but they weren't necessary and allowed things to go really fast. An activated one-time swinger made things fun at the end with a breaking the last shot (airborn) while stepping over the fault line. The next stage started seated with G34 on table, 2 paper on each side of a [_] and 5 poppers behind the [_]. It was hard to make the poppers as the shooter needed to be very extended on top the fault line. I went into the left side too fast and over stepped the fault line (not shooting) but burning time coming back in. Then shooting the right side, the left side popper didn't fall (reshoot). My second run required two shots on one left popper but the second run was 2.? seconds faster. The 4th stage was 'L' shape with 3 poppers from 15 yds, 2 paper at 3 yds & then 2 more paper & 5 poppers at 10 yds. FAST & FUN! The final stage was 4 - 4 paper arrays with partial hard cover on each array, headshots at each array 4-12 yds. Lots of fun, some aiming required.

NO MIKES TODAY! Several Ds at the half-size rifle targets at 15 yds. A heavier barrel with a Comp would be nice. Some shooters today looked like they were shooting 22's. NO RECOIL. And the YHM alum. handguard got hot after the 4 stages. No stage was over 32 rounds and each stage took 30 minutes to complete and was bagged afterwards. The RO said my vert grip was considered a bipod so i couldn't use it in Tactical. Great day shooting though...

Went to burn up some underpowered loads today 4.2 instead of 4.5, 1 in 20 had a FTE/F. So i took the steel on a 4x4 and shot it at 20-25 yds. The plate is about 7x9". I was surprised to hit it pretty easy at that distance. After breaking the 4x4 post, design flaw, i moved on to practicing draws. There were broken pieces of clays on the burm, so i just walked to about 20' from them and went to town. If you read above, you'll see i barely got to 1.04 on first shot from a draw, a few months ago. Today my first draw was 1.04, good start. Within 40 draws i was down to .97s with a low of .90s! I also got at least 3 sub 1s in a row several times. I had a few double taps at 1.2s. Would they all have been in the A zone, maybe? They ALL would have been on paper though. Great day for some lead slingin'! Won't likely load up any more ammo until i get back in Dec.

• 6 months later...

Ah... Knocking the dust off sucks. I haven't been shooting much, since my son was born Jan 3rd.

Bill drills today were straight out of the ugly forest. 1.2-3 seconds for first shot, anywhere on 7m target. Splits were mostly .18-.22, one down to .15 seconds. Most BD were about 2.3-2.4 and who knows where on target.

Finally got some American Select, 8 lbs. I'll save the Bullseye I have been using for 40 & 45.

The new DOH is not great. If the pistol is completely seated, it binds horribly on draw. Perhaps over time it will loosen up a bit.

My first shoot of the year will be Easter Weekend, rifle & pistol. I'll have to break out the M4 soon.

Reloading got much easier today, after I removed a stuck brass in my dies. Extracting from the resize die was getting tough when I ripped a rim off. So, I thought someone here recommended a shot of case lube into a bucket of brass. THAT is genius! I'm also working with Wolf primers now. Today's session was the first 'test' run and they ran as well as Win, but I'm not sure of the velocity difference. My 115's go about 1150 with Win; the new primers shouldn't bother velocity too much.

Oh, and my hands & fingers hurt. I think arthritis sucks, esp. at 33. On the other hand, I reloaded 200 9x19 in about 27 minutes tonight, a new PR.

Let's get busy, shootin' season is here!

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a local Rifle/Pistol match this weekend, good fun despite the rain. There was also some politics involved. Lucky weekend for me though, won in Limited Division. Couldn't believe it, over a few A & B shooters too.

I pushed for fast over accurate this weekend. The sights were more a blur and the speed was dialed way up. Reloads and draws need some work. Footwork felt pretty good also. Many As, some Cs but no Ms.

The rifle wasn't as pretty, 5th in Tactical. I have not shot rifle since the MGM last summer. Not too bad, but need more time on rifle.

• 1 year later...

Long time no post. I have started working with my P2000, more.

5/17: transitions with rifle- 2 shots rifle (10m) and 2 shots pistol from Safariland holster; broke 5s a few times

from Serpa holster draw 7m, broke 1.25s a few times while maintaining 50% hits on a 3x5 card (mostly point shooting). The holster is a bit different and will take more practice. 357/249 scores (359 & 247 in Feb '10)

• 2 weeks later...

300WM sightin: 50, 100, & 200 yds

P2K work at 10 yds.- worked on trigger reset and got numerous .2s, a few 19s, and one 18; with fair-good accuracy (strong side)

support side- 10 yds, started with resets about .5s and got a few down into the high 20s & low 30s; accuracy was fair-poor

• 11 months later...

lots of 22/45 work, some P2K work. Got some steel yesterday, with handloads. All shots on full steel about 10 yds. ElP about 5.1-2. Splits .20-24. Transitions .4ish. Reloads 1.6-8, from lockback. Draw about 1.4.

• 11 months later...

Some 15-22 & G34 work lately.

G34 draw (power-speed holster), 7 yd, 9" steel- 0.99 to 1.15s (50/50 hits). reloads, 1.4-1.6, lockback or not; 1-1-1 about 5.0s

15-22 splits usually .16-.19, some .15; 10 shot drill at 8 yds on 12" steel, from low ready- 2.23-2.50s

• 2 weeks later...

First Mica WA match, special classifier. Felt overly deliberate, slow. Got some good hits, one No Shoot, two Mikes. 4th overall, of 59. Hit the gas peddle on last stage and one that stage with 6 A & 6C. One round did not seat, causing Stage 1. Otherwise everything ran fine.

Today: P2K draw from Serpa level 2- 1.2-.5 on 5 yd @ steel tube. Reloads from lockback, 1.6-1.8. Three consecutive draw/hit, reload, hit under 2.93.

P2K- 5 yds from SL2. Cold draw, 1.12 hit bell. Draw as low as 1.02, not hit. Hit 1.04-8. Lockback down to 1.45, one draw, hit, reload, hit in 2.6. Others under 3.0. Draw, fire, reload, fire, reload, fire reloads went up near 1.8-2.0..

5/28- shot the modified Miculek comp with duty loads and WOW, no muzzle rise.

5/29- P2K and 15-22 work. Used the new dropped L2 and it feels better, the elbow will tell over time. 1.12-1.20 draw and hit on bell at 5 yds. 2.7-9: draw, hit, reload from lockback, hit on bell at 5 yds.

Trying 155 MTG JHP with 5.7 & 6.0 AmSel at 1.14

Edited by safenate

• 3 weeks later...

Trying 155 MTG JHP with 5.7 & 6.0 AmSel at 1.14: the 6.0 gr was about 1056 from P2K at 10'. That is about min. for major PF. Bumped up to 6.1.

Shot the USMS match and came in first by 20 sec.

First stage= shotgun x 4 on the move, then 4 triple-tap.

Second= flip box memory times three sets of two.

Third= rifle, moving, reload behind cover and transition to pistol

Fourth= shotgun, off hand only, shotgun

Fifth= pistol in car, exit, transition to rifle

Mica results were expected, but they bumped off the best % off the site. Only up to 65.66 from 64.05, need more classifiers and trigger time.

Edited by safenate