Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use Zero 200 gr .40 TCFM bullets?

BrianS

I noticed that most guys seem to be running 180 gr bullets, and I'm just curious if anyone else is using Zero 200 gr TCFM bullets for their match loads?

I'm a newbie reloader and figured a 200 gr. bullet would provide a lower recoil & obviously it would required less velocity to make Major PF, but like I said this is all new to me..

Can some please tell me why the 180 gr seems to be the preferred bullet weight, and do you guys load hot or just enough to be safely over PF?

Currently I'm loading with Winchester brass, CCI primers, and Winchester WSF powder, however I just bought a can of Power Pistol and I'm going to start using that when the WSF is used up.

My current recipe is the Zero 200 gr TCFM with 5 gr. of WSF with a COL of 1.135". I don't have access to a chrono just yet, but if the recipe is correct I should be getting approx. 170 PF out of this load.

Is a lower bullet weight with a higher velocity better than a heavier bullet with lower velocity?

By the way I shoot an DP STI Edge and my loads have run fine in the pistol and my accuracy seems pretty good, but any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Depends on the gun to me. It is all about the QUALITY of the front sight track, everything else is fluff. I have shot 5" guns that had the highest quality sight track with 180's and others that wanted 200's. In my 6" I have shot mostly 180's and the front sight track has to be seen to be believed, but 200's are just that much better still. Switch powders and start all over again, the choices might change.

Lots of folks do like the 180s, but there are certainly folks using 165s and 200s as well. It's really all about what feels right and looks right to you when you shoot it. There have been some availability issues, so that can factor in as well. I like 180s just fine, but I'm sure I could get used to another weight if need be. Pick one, shoot a whole bunch of it and be happy!

Most folks load to have a margin of error above PF just in case. Chrono's are all a little different and environmental factors can cause slight differences in velocity. I like 170pf as a target. If you have that you're not likely to go minor at a big match. R,

Lots of folks do like the 180s, but there are certainly folks using 165s and 200s as well. It's really all about what feels right and looks right to you when you shoot it. There have been some availability issues, so that can factor in as well. I like 180s just fine, but I'm sure I could get used to another weight if need be. Pick one, shoot a whole bunch of it and be happy!

Most folks load to have a margin of error above PF just in case. Chrono's are all a little different and environmental factors can cause slight differences in velocity. I like 170pf as a target. If you have that you're not likely to go minor at a big match. R,

Thank Bartman!! "Didn't do it, no one saw me do it, can't prove anything!" :D