Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which night sights?

Revopop

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have few questions on carry sights.

I am looking for some carry sights for a G19. I think I like the look of the Warren Tacticals (not Sevigny carry). I noticed that a few posters in this thread only have the front night sight and a plain rear. Is there a particular reason to get the lamp on the front only and not the rear? Can you still line up the front and rear sights in the dark with only the front lamp? I was considering the two lamp system until I started my research.

TIA.

I've heard tons of reasons why people like one style night sights over the other. I don't know if there is a perfect answer. I listen to people's reasoning all the time, and it all seems to make sense because it makes sense to them. My point is, that it is really more about preference. What works for one, might not work for another.

Get a set of sights that give you the ability to see the front sight without distractions, and that meet your needs. Try a buddy's sights at the range, if you're not sure. Don't always go with the style that the masses are getting.

As far as what is the most popular? I can honestly say that I've sold more of the 2-Lamp sets than I have the 3-Lamp sets. I'm not sure if that is because of pure preference or a combination of preference and cost. More tritium means more bucks. No way around it. I do have people that love the 3-Lamp sets though. I just recently sold four sets to one buyer. I have one customer that has bought about 25 sets. That's not the norm, but I wish it was!

:rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

Last year, I went to a weekend defensive pistol course that included a night course. The instructor told us going in not to expect too much from our night sights since they are really only work well in low light (e.g. twilight). When it gets darker, you need to illuminate your target and the light negates the value of the night sights. Everyone with night sights that went through the class, myself included, found out first hand that he was right on the money.

This year, I went through the same class without night sights but had a Safariland RLS with a G2 flashlight. Shot most of the course with the light handheld for the experience but finished with the light mounted on my Glock 19 -- I was shooting hammer pairs and nailing every target on the course.

That's what is now in my bed stand.

That does make sense for competition, but in a carry situation, it doesn't hurt to have something for every situation. Have the light, have the tritiums, extra mag(s), prayer beads, good sneakers for running if you miss, etc.

:surprise:

It's just like I said. For every plan, there's four other people with a better plan or method.