Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can You Unbag/Bag Long Guns @ the Car?

With the way the rules are written rifle racks at every stage should be required.

Doug

Agreed. I attended the Norwegian/Nordic Rifle "nationals" last year and there were racks or an area where competitors would leave the rifles at every stage.

Some competitors also only unbagged at LAMR and put the rifle back in the bag after the COF.

I see a lot of that here...

This specific question was about bagging/unbagging at your car. If the long gun isn't bagged, then I suppose a very loose interpretation of the rules would allow you to remove it from the back seat or trunk or cargo area and carry it. You are allowed to carry it on your person (slung, but you have to handle it with your hands to get it that way) provided the muzzle is vertical and the action is open or flagged. Another problem I've seen is people carrying their rifles in a cart or on their person muzzle down and then apparently sweeping most of the squad when they rack it on the stage.

By the letter of the rules, if you arrive with your gun bagged, it has to stay that way until you are either 1) in a safe area, or 2) under the authority of a range official or racking it on a stage per 5.2.1.3.

Do I believe that this always happens? Sure---the check is in the mail...... :rolleyes:

Troy

Would we be able to unbag/bag a long gun that is equipped with a chamber flag without RO supervision, outside of a safety area, etc.?

As in....

Install the chamber flag at home. Come to the range and unbag the chamber flag equipped long gun at the parking lot. (We can carry around/touch a chamber flag equipped long gun... why shouldn't we be able to unbag/bag a chamber flag equipped long gun?)

or...

Install the chamber flag at the end of the course of fire. Go to whereever and bag the chamber flag equipped long gun outside of a safety area, while not under the supervision of the RO, without the explicit permission of the RO, etc.

Also if I have a racked gun without a chamber flag. Can I go to the rack and install a chamber flag while the gun is still racked?

If I went to the rack and kept the muzzle and the case vertical can I bag the gun there? (This was shown to me by an RO at the MG Nationals in Albany.)