Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Chute 'n Shoot

Hank Ellis

Just got back from one the most fun weekends I've ever had. The mostly annual Chute N' Shoot competition. A competition that includes parachute accuracy and firearm marksmanship, but not at the same time. See the attached file for the rules.

I've been wanting to do this since I heard about it in 2004. In 2004 I was no where ready to try this. 2005 had Clyde who puts on this thing on, roll his tractor and nearly get himself killed. So the event was cancelled. In 2006 Clyde was still on the mend and it was postponed another year. 2007 marked the return but a family emergency came up and I postponed it. Finally in 2008 the moons aligned and I was able to make it.

To win this thing you have to be semi-decent in every arm. Tank one stage and you may still be in the top 5. Tank two and you're in the middle of the pack. The way the rules are slanted you can be top dog at the end of the shooting events but if you're skydiving accuracy is off you've just got bumped out of the running.

Myself I placed 5th out of 18 competitors in the individual standing. Best of the 'virgins' who've never shot the event before. Took the team title with solid performances by the rest of my group.

Did very well in rimfire handgun, rimfire rifle, sporting shotgun and highpower rifle. Decent in centerfire handgun. Not so well in sub-machine gun due to not knowing that it had an 8lb trigger. Thought the safety was still on. Probably a third of my time was figuring that out. Tanked the combat shotgun jungle run. There the course outsmarted me. By the time I figured it out it was too late and dropped a bunch of points. Weather was a factor in the skydiving event. We only had a chance for one load so the top 4 went for a jumpoff. Bummer that I didn't get the jump in but in the end the top guy in the shooting events dropped to third overall due to overshooting the target.

What was so cool was not just the shooting, but how everybody was there to help everybody else out. Ammo, guns, what do you need? One friend of mine showed up on whim and we supplied him with guns and ammo for the weekend. His shooting experience consisted of plinking at cans a few times with some generic revolver. The highpower stage showed me he has a natural talent. He had never shot an AR. Took him off to the side and showed him the controls of the gun and how to adjust the AO on the scope. Then I took a flap off an ammo box and showed him where to put the crosshairs for the short range (150 to 175yd), middle range (200 to 225yd), and long range (250 to 320yd) targets. Him ringing the gong at 250 from sitting it was something to see. Cleaned the 300 and 320yd targets from prone. Awesome showing. Beat many a hardcore competitor. But I won't loan him the FN SLP for the jungle run again. Beating the guy who loans you his gun is bad form.

Good friends, good shooting, good times. Can't wait for next year.

CnS_2008_Events.pdf

Hank that does sound like a heck of a good time. Might have to look into that when funds allow.

Kevin

The events change up a bit from year to year. Partly to change the skill involved but mostly so that there is no way to practice it. That way no one competitor can have a strangle hold. Bottom line, you better know your gun, how to use it, and be prepared for any target you may come across if you want a chance to win it.

For instance in the 2004 event the centerfire handgun had shots to 50yd and rimfire rifle to 100yd. Done any of that lately? This year had one station on the sporting clays course where the competitor was in the bucket of a bucket truck (or whatever that thing the power company guys use is called). Being 12' up gave a whole new perspective on bird busting. Clyde has said that he's going to run the bucket up next year. Clays from 30 or more feet up. That will be interesting.

But as challenging the events are, they are do-able. As far as I know nobody collected max penalty points on any stage. Here and there my USPSA background worked to my disadvantage. Time. Nearly all of the events have a time limit but it's so liberal that it isn't a factor. Rushed a few shots and missed. Noted for next year. The focus is on accuracy, not speed.

Just so you know, the Class III is supplied by a dealer out of Texas. Just bring ammo.

As soon as I hear about the 2009 event I'll get the word out.

2004_chute_n_shoot_rules.pdf