Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 VERY sluggish

safenate

I've got about 10K handloads on my 550 in 7 yrs, mostly pistol. Recently it started getting slow & additional tention on up/down strokes. So, I threw some gunlube on it and finished that lot of ammo. Today I went to set up for 9x19 and it kept getting slower and tighter. So I wiped it down and put some grease on it. This made it worse. What have i done and how do i fix it? Got two new 9's coming this week and it is time to tweak out some Minor loads. Thanks in advance.

When my 550 was getting sluggish, the problem turned out to be the two linkage arms - the ones about 4-5" long with a 1/2" hole in each end that link the handle to the shaft. These are held in place by two large pins - one that has a hold so you can use a large punch to reach the other one to push it out (press fit in the the Aluminum press body). When I removed these, they pivot point was dry and the interior of the shaft was heavily scored. Dillon send me two new linkage arms for free (the usual great service), and I lubed and re-installed these and the press (with all the other recommended cleaning/lube) was suddenly like new.