Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning an extractor for 9mm when using a 38 super slide

Chris Martin

Hey All,

I have a new .38 super slide (STI 1911) for future use with a 9mm barrel and a 9mm/38 extractor (Wilson Bulletproof) trying to get an idea about a good target when getting a 9mm to extract properly with the oversized breach face.

From everything I've read:

When tuning a .45 extractor, the belly of the extractor supplies the pressure to the rim of the case, the hook doesn't touch the case.

When tuning a .38 super extractor the edge of the hook supplies the pressure to the extractor groove, the rim doesn't touch the extractor.

But what about 9mm?

I would assume that the top face of the hook (angled area closest to the barrel) should not touch the case at all, much like .45 and .38 super? If I relieve enough face area to not touch the case, when the round is chambered it will sit closer to the extractor and the extractor groove is now in a different place. But how critical is that given the possible lateral movement of the case upon ejection. The case will exit the barrel and slide over to the breach wall.

What about extractor tension? Say you were using the Weigand tension gauges, use 9mm side even though it's a larger breach face and aim for what weight?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Chris Martin

Hey All,

I have a new .38 super slide (STI 1911) for future use with a 9mm barrel and a 9mm/38 extractor (Wilson Bulletproof) trying to get an idea about a good target when getting a 9mm to extract properly with the oversized breach face.

From everything I've read:

When tuning a .45 extractor, the belly of the extractor supplies the pressure to the rim of the case, the hook doesn't touch the case.

When tuning a .38 super extractor the edge of the hook supplies the pressure to the extractor groove, the rim doesn't touch the extractor.

But what about 9mm?

I shaped the tip on my 9mm extractor so it fits the rim and web precisely, that is the hook fits in the web and the flat bottom of the notch just presses the flat of the rim.

It came from the factory set up so only the end of the tip dug into the webbed groove (and it worked mostly) but it works better when it's fitted.

As for tension, they say about 15 - 20 ounces is about right.

Mine somtimes will slip the rim when the tension drops to about 8 ounces or so.

Edited by bountyhunter