Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Fit: Opinions Please

bountyhunter

Curious about whether there is a spec for the fit of the Glock barrel:

The front to rear play with the barrel in the slide, which is set by the distance to the breech face and the edge of the slide cutout the barrel fits in. With my barrel in the slide and pushed all the way to the rear, I measure maybe .002 - .003" gap at the front edge.

The reason I ask: this barrel has too much headspace and I was wondering how much is OK to shave off the rear surface to reduce headspace, but not too much to make the fit too loose in the slide.

Thanks.

That won't reduce headspace. The headspace would stay the same, but the barrel fit would suffer.

Headspace is measured from the breachface to the chamber shoulder, with the barrel pushed away from the breach.

Edited by wide45

The gun was setup within Glock's specs when it left the factory. Unless the gun is doing something funky, LEAVE IT ALONE!!
It's an EFK 9mm conversion barrel, so gaston's minions never had a hand in it. The funky thing it's doing is too many light strike misfires. Edited by bountyhunter

That won't reduce headspace. The headspace would stay the same, but the barrel fit would suffer.

Headspace is measured from the breachface to the chamber shoulder, with the barrel pushed away from the breach.

Interesting, I thought it would be measured with the barrel all the way to the rear because the pressure of the recoil spring would push it back.

At rest, the breachface will be against the barrel hood. When the round lights off, the barrel will be pushed forward. This is what the brass sees under pressure, so it's the proper way to measure headspace.

If the hood is shorter than it should be, the barrel will have a running start when it slams into the locking surface. This is not good.

At rest, the breachface will be against the barrel hood. When the round lights off, the barrel will be pushed forward. This is what the brass sees under pressure, so it's the proper way to measure headspace.

If the hood is shorter than it should be, the barrel will have a running start when it slams into the locking surface. This is not good.

Right, that's why I was asking about normal front edge to slide gap. On the stock barrel, it's about .003". Same on the EFK, it just looks like they drilled the throat a bit too deep on the EFK.

Best thing is to talk to EFK, and see if they will replace it.

If the chamber is truly too deep, it's new barrel time. You could set the one you have up for 9x21, but if you want to shoot it much, just get a good barrel.