Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case shrinking?

Mykal

Hey, folks. Another newbie question. I just finished shooting my first batch of handloads! It went very well. All fired fine and I got the results I wanted. I fired about 40 rounds of 30-30. My gun is a Winchester 94. I used 28.0 grains of IMR 4895. I used Speer Flat –SP Bullets 130 grain. Primer was CCI-200. I wanted to try this load for general fun shooting, looking for light recoil compared to factory 150 grain I had been using. I found these 150 grain a bit punishing after about 20 rounds. The 130-grain worked great, and after 40 rounds I could have kept shooting. Anyway, here is my question. I had trimmed all cases to 2.029. After shooting, they were all about 2.022 or so. I thought cases were supposed to stretch after shooting, no? I was all set to clean and trim, but now these cases aren’t usable? Any help would be appreciated. –Mykal

Guest Dick W Holliday

i can't explain the case shrinking but as far as the cases not being usable......i would have no concern there....most of my 30-30 shooting is with a WW94 and i've never trimmed a case for it anyway....and probably never even measured one(although i've two sets of calipers and every case trimmer that's ever been made).....if you were shooting a 30-30 in a bolt gun or auto i might be measuring and trimming but for a 94....it just don't matter....it ain't no bench rest gun any way so just enjoy reloading and shooting more with all the money you're saving........just my opinion but i'm sure you'll hear others......Dick

If you cases were new and you sized then trimmed and then fired them in you rifle they were reshaped to the chamber. If the loads are gentle (which keeps cases strech to a minimum anyway) they would not have grown longer. As you chamber is larger than a loaded round the case will have to shrink in length to fill out.

I would measure your cases after sizing, neck or full. Then resaure the case mouths and keeep on shooting.

If you are after a gentle load for plinking then try 16grains H4198 under a 170gr Flat Point Lead. Very gentle and quite accurate.

Another one is a 180gr Lead over 8grains WST. This will go out at 1000fps maximum. Low noise and no recoil.

Dick & gm iprod: the responses: of course, the case gets stretched in the resizing die. Thanks for the recipes for plinking, gm iprod.  I'm a newbie and sometimes the nomunclature still confuses me. Will any 170 grain flat point bullet do for these loads? Thanks. -Mykal