Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 practice and competition ammo

Randy C

Hey guys

I checked all over this forum for an answer to my question(s) before posting these questions.

I'm brand new to the handgun competiton sports but not to shooting or reloading. I plan to enter a USPSA match next month. I plan on using my duty SA XD45. and shoot in either/or the Production/Limited10 classes.

I've been reloading Berrys plated 230gr. RN over 5.5 Grs. of Unique. Berrys bullets have kinda gone over the top with their lead surcharge. Because of cost, I'm considering reloading 230 gr. hardcast bullets. The XD45 according to popular opinion doesn't function real well with semi-wadcutter bullets, so I will be sticking with roundnose bullets.

Would either the 230gr. RN plated or hardcast work for both practice and competition?

Would either bullet type place me at a disadvantage in competition?

Because of the cost factor, can I go just with the hardcast bullets for both practice and competition?

For consistancy sake, can I use the same powder weight charge for practice/competition?

Thanks

Randy

Short answer - yes.

While the jacketed or plated bullets will give less smoke,l the lead bullets are workable, and usually attractive due to costing less. Some object greatly to the smoke coming from lead bullets (the lube mainly), but outdoor shooting is still normally do-able. Indoors and with a flashlight are the worst smoke situations, though sun angle and orientation can, along with wind conditions, can make it a problem outside.

Best, in my opinion, would be to try some of each, seeing what sort of functional reliability you get, along with evaluating their accuracy ion your gun. At the same time, you can see if the smoke bothers you.

Guy

Hey guys

The XD45 according to popular opinion doesn't function real well with semi-wadcutter bullets, so I will be sticking with roundnose bullets.

Would either the 230gr. RN plated or hardcast work for both practice and competition?

Would either bullet type place me at a disadvantage in competition?

Because of the cost factor, can I go just with the hardcast bullets for both practice and competition?

For consistancy sake, can I use the same powder weight charge for practice/competition?

Thanks

Randy

Randy - My XD45 handles 230gr TC's and my friend with the same model has been shooting plated 200gr SWC's with very good reliability. Guy's advice it correct: Try some of each and see how they work.

As far as load recipe for practice vs. competition, I always loaded the same for both just for the sake of consistency.

Either plated or cast should work for competition. I just ran through the last of my Berry's 230gr RN plated purchased pre-lead surcharge :( Current prices on cast lead have been out of sight for some time now so I'm back to casting my own. As previously noted by Guy, the cast lead bullets definitely produce more smoke. It didn't create any problems for me, but YMMV. --GW

Quick correction: almost all the "TMJ'd" or "electroplated" bullets use a lead core that is swaged from pure lead - meanign the lead core ios very very soft. These include: Speer Gold Dots, Speer Lawman, Speer Blazer, Berry's, and Ranier.

ONE brand uses a hard-cast lead core that much harder lead than pure soft swaged lead; it is then plated. That brand is Frontier from South Africa. They are the only one I know of that does not use a swaged core.