Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Primer Action Job

David Sinko

How warped do moonclips have to be to cause light hits? Do any of you have a way to check moonclips periodically or is this not an issue? Thanks

Warped moonclips don't really cause light hits--but they sure can cause binding of the action.

I always check my loaded moonclips before a major match by dropping them into the cylinder to make sure they all drop in nicely and bottom out flat on the cylinder face. Once in awhile I find a bend moonclip or a bulgy round, and the problem is immediately ascertainable without even closing the cylinder. The full-blown "spin-check" is really not necessary, and in my opinion contributes to the excessive cylinder stop notch peening problem that some have experienced.

As with any other revolver, light hits on a moonclip gun are generally caused by hard primers, improperly-seated primers, insufficient mainspring tension for the primer being used, excessive endshake/headspace, or a bad firing pin.

Looks like my combination of Wolff 15 lb. rebound spring and shaved mainspring is just what I need. My mainspring that has been reduced in thickness seems to work better than the one that was bent and it has not misfired even once, even though the strain screw backs out with use. My "competition" 625 is indeed a bit lighter but not enough to justify the exclusive use of Federal primers. I'm really surprised that this whole ordeal was so quick, easy and painless. I did not stone or file any of the parts (I won't even pretend that I know how to do that) and the results are still much better than I had expected. Next step will be to Loc-tite the strain screw, all the frame screws and the front sight and roll pin and I should be set. I appreciate all the input.

Dave Sinko

I did the action recently on a friends 625-8. He wanted the hammer left stock and it to fire any ammo. I gave it to him with a DA pull just over 8.5 lbs, goes bang 100% with any ammo. SA was 2.5 lbs.