Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Rx shooting glasses suggestions/help

Dave Gundry

Angel, the model that I use has a flip up front. The RX is inserted behind the front sunglass lense. The good thing is if you go out on a sunny afternoon and it gets dark on you, just flip up the sunglasses and drive on home as the perscription part stays down. The other option is to get a pair like this and use the RX, and if you ever get your eyes fixed, the RX clip pops right out and you have a normal pair of flip up sunglasses. The down side to this model is like another person said, you have two sets of lenses, so you have to be more careful to keep them clean or you end up looking through four layers of dust instead of the normal two.

My buddy and I both use the Rudy Radons with the RX inserts and love them. Insurance covered a good portion of mine too. The total cost was about $210.00 for the classes a RX insert. BTW, they work great for fishing too.

• 1 month later...

I was on the verge of getting Lasik but after doing some research and talking to my doctor I decided against it because of 2 issues.

1. Presbyopia happens around 40 and I'm 41. Basically the eyes stiffen as we get older so they don't change focus near to far as well.

2. I'm nearsighted and my correction is only - 1.25. I can already see great closeup WITHOUT correction.

Doc said being slightly nearsighted is an advantage when Presbyopia hits as little or no correction is needed to see up close. If I got Lasik, it will correct for my nearsightedness, making my vision normal but I'll most likely need reading glasses afterwards to see up close due to the Presbyopia. So I decided using no correction in my shooting eye and correction in my non-shooting eye (as I'm doing right now) is better for me than spending 2k to better see the target then needing glasses to see the front sight!

I'm using Oakley Flak Jackets Rx which are working great. They are stylish enough for everyday wear (as opposed to some goofy looking dedicated prescription shooting glasses I've had in the past). I wear them with correction for both eyes for daily use and take them off when I get to work to use the computer. I can change out one side to a non-corrective lens for shooting and I can change them both to non-corrective if I decide to wear contacts. I also use a darker tint in my non-shooting eye when I shoot in bright sunlight because I have an injury where my pupil is diolated. The ability to mix and match the Rx and tints are a big benefit compared to one fixed Rx lens like the M-Frame. It cost more, but I use them for everything.

Edited by Filishooter