Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jay870 log

Jay870

08/15/13 Dry Fire 45 Minutes PM

Single Target Gun Handling

El Presidente

Worked in a lot of extra draws on the STGH block. 20@1.0, 10@0.8, 10@0.6, 10@0.8, 20@1.0. Also doubled up on the reload drill within the STGH block.

To get a consistent strong hand grip on the gun out of the holster I really need to focus on the draw motion originating from the elbow down, and keeping my shoulders dead calm. When the shoulder hitches up I start missing the grip.

On the El Pres block I worked the full El Pres drill down to 4.8 and was happy with that after being stuck at 5 flat since forever. The reload is the low hanging fruit on this one as my "reliable" pace is about 1.4, and I probably have another tenth or two I could trim off the turn & draw.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

08/16/13 Dry Fire 45 Minutes PM

White Wall Fundamentals

Far Target Gun Handling

Close 90 Close

Good session. Reload seems to finally smoothing out and doing a little better job of shifting my focus. I feel like I am picking up my sights quicker on draws and reloads.

Gun was due for some fresh springs. I installed the following:

GMSTK1 - Wolff Competition Trigger Spring

SP00063 - Glock OEM Firing Pin Spring

ISM-GL13 - ISMI Full Size 13lb Recoil Spring

P/N are from Glockparts.com

Also gear related, I switched my first two mag pouches over to Ghost pouches. Initial impressions...

Pros

- I like the belt mount setup

- I like the leaf spring setup for adjusting tension

- They do have a very smooth & consistent release.

Cons

- The sit the mag too deep in the pouch. I crammed some filler in the bottom of the pouch to make the mag sit higher.

- They feel cheap and the plastic feels very brittle. I'm interested to see how they hold up.

08/18/13 Live Fire 200 rds PM

Forgot my timer which worked out well. I spent a lot of time on basic reloads at 10 yards... I tend to rush them in live fire but with no timer there was no reason to do anything other than technically solid reps.

Also shot quite a bit of Accelerator, but with the targets at 5, 25, & 50 yards. This was interesting and I was reasonably pleased with my accuracy at 50 yards for not having shot much at that distance.

After shooting and handling the gun I realize my memory must have betrayed me and that I had a 15lb recoil spring in the gun previously, not a 13lb. I really liked how the 13lb shot/handled, however I am a little concerned about the lockup even though I didn't have any issues today. I think I'll go ahead and experiment with another lightened striker so that I can run an RP striker spring. I had a lightened striker with an RP spring in the gun for a while and really liked the feel, but ran into trigger reset issues with it after about 5K rounds and that has scared me off from them ever since. Hopefully I have better luck this go around.

08/19/13 Dry Fire 45 Minutes PM

White Wall Fundamentals

Wide Transitions

GREAT practice, was definitely on it tonight.

Liking the Ghost pouches thus far... they have very consistent release as the mag is extracted which makes for a smooth motion. Still think they feel cheap, hope they prove me wrong.

The lockup with the 13lb recoil spring is definitely sketchy. Have a Glockworx lightened steel striker and RP striker spring en-route which will help balance the spring pressures out. Looking foward to giving the GW stuff a go.

08/20/13 Dry Fire 30 Minutes PM

Easy Setups

STGH went well.

Easy Setups was a mess. Ran it from four different directions plus a bunch of slow reps just trying to figure out the most efficient footwork. Gun was bouncing all over the place getting into the box, and I invariably ended up in awkward positions... all good reasons to start working this block regularly.

Edited by Jay870

I'm going to change my practice routine up a bit. I've mostly been focusing on White Wall and the basic "stand and shoot" blocks and working in other blocks just to see where I am on those skill sets. I feel like I've made a lot of progress on the "stand and shoot" skills and want to start working on some of the other skill sets. So, each week I am going to pick a "core" block, and that block will be the focus of that weeks dry fire. I won't be doing that block exclusively, but will do it at every dry fire session. Next weeks core block will be Barricade.

I'm also going to switch to periodic updates. Part of updating this so frequently was simply an exercise in getting in the habit of sitting down after a practice session and figuring out what worked, what didn't, and what I need to do next time.

On the gear side of things the Glockworx striker and RP springs arrived and I hope to get that installed and tested out Sunday night. If that part works well, and these Ghost mag pouches hold up then I hope to be done with gear changes for while.

Got the Glockworx lightened strker & RP striker spring installed over the weekend. As expected, the trigger pull is lighter and lockup feels more positive. Engagement with the trigger bar looked good and I shot 200 rounds with it Sunday night without incident. That 200 was with Fed SPP, I'll load up some Win SPP this week.
Live fire practice was a pretty mixed bag. On one hand I set a new personal best for a hands at sides draw at 7 yards of 0.8 flat, and my slow fire accuracy was great. However, I am still struggling to pick up the sights quickly on close targets which is really starting to frustate the hell out of me. Also my accuracy at speed wasn't great, though I am partly attributing that to the lighter trigger pull & softer reset throwing my timing off a hair.

Dry fired Monday & Tuesday and made good progresson the Barricade block and worked in a lot of extra reloads.

Grip tape on the support side of the gun started pulling loose on Tuesday and I decided to replace that with epoxy & grit, which I had already done in a spot on the backstrap since I could never get grip tape to stay put there. Stripped and prepped the frame Wed night, and laid on the grit last night. Probably won't mess with it mucht tonight just make sure everything is fully cured. Hope to get out for a couple of live fire sessions over the long weeked.

Dry fire was spotty again this week because of work and home projects, but I did make good progress on shaving time off the drills in the Barricade block.

Live fire 300rds last night. Once again, did not do a good job of sticking with a plan and wasted a lot of time and ammo playing with grip techniques & pressures. My draw was very consistent but slow, and still feel like it is taking me forever to see the sights after the gun is up. Reloads were the bright spot of the session.

Gear wise, the 300 I shot last night were loaded with Win SPP to test the skeletonized striker & RP striker spring setup and everything went off without a hitch. I'm really happy with how the expoxied grit came out on the support side of the gun as well. Put a fresh fiber in the front sight and it seemed crazy bright, so I'm going to get that toned down a little.

Hoping to get out for another live fire session over the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Practice has been pretty much non-existent since my previous post. Slammed at work and have had some projects around the house that have been eating up my little "free time". I am hoping that in the next week or two I can get back to a dedicated schedule. I am lucky to have a pole barn to do my dry fire practice in, but with the cold weather approaching I'll need to get setup in the house so I ordered a few packs of the scaled (1/2 & 1/3) USPSA targets from Ben's pro shop.

Shot a local match 09/21. Rainy and of course I forgot my rain gear. Had some problems with hands going numb even though it was only low 50's. I had serious magazine issues. Twice magazines failed to drop free, and I had stage with failure to feed followed by double feed. I have had a lot of mag issues recently and I guess it is maybe just time for a new batch of mags, though I am remiss to spend the money. As far as pulling the trigger I was fairly satisfied, accuracy was good though I could have probably picked up the pace in a few spots. Draws were poor, requiring a lot of adjustment to the grip out of the holster.