Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal NT?

grassy knoll

I am loading some 40 S&W once fired brass on a Dillon SDB and I am having a problem with Federal NT brass, the sidewall of the primer is staying stuck in the pocket, there are a few different kinds of brass in my mix and the only one that is doing it are these Federal NT.

I bought the brass from wideners.com.  So there must be others out there with the same stuff.

What is the difference between regular Federal brass and the Federal NT?

Guest Dick W Holliday

i got a bunch of PMC 38 spec and the primers would punch out as you describe and leave the sidewalls....i tossed the broken ones for a while until i had a bunch in the can and then i took them out and used a drill bit  to drill them out....i forget what size drill it was but it got it right out.....Dick

Stuff seems to almost have a crimp - very slight but it does catch the edge of primers.  They are using the same primer (small) in .45ACP which really pissed me off - but not as much as their patronizing reply to the mail I sent them about it:

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...4&topic=488

Its reloadable, but I just throw Federal .45 away these days.

I ran into some of these in .40 S&W.

There is a crimp retaining the primer.

My guess is that this is Federals way of dealing with the lead free primers.  I think Winchester uses larger flash holes.  I suspect that the lead free primers, tend to back out of the pockets, more than standard primers.

You may need to do a crimp removing operation, to reclaim the brass.

Dillon's 1050 comes set up to do the job.