Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for HK MP5

-JQ-

I am a beginning reloader...

I was curious if anyone has been loading for an MP5. My hopes were to use FMJ 147 gr as they seem to be easier? to keep sub-sonic...factory WWB 147s are subsonic, anyway. I don't shoot with the can all the time but I would like to build one round that is sub-with can and that I can use in matches.

I haven't had any problems with factory ammo but as we all know $$ is going up...mostly WWB, American Eagle, and S&B

My main concern is the fact that I really don't want a squib when running FA...bad to say the least...I also have no use for hot loads...just standard, reliable rounds.

I figure to do all my reload learning with .40 for my Sig pistol. Then when more comfortable move to 9mm...FWIW.

Thanks in advance

I have a semi-auto MP5. I have loaded 147 grain Montana Gold bullets at about 1.150 with 3.5 grains of Universal Clays, IIRC when I chronoed it it was subsonic. Also have used 124 grain CMJ Montana Gold bullets same OAL with 4.5 grains of Universal Clays, both run fine.

My suppressor and registered auto sear are in various stages of waiting for the ATF.

I have a semi-auto MP5. I have loaded 147 grain Montana Gold bullets at about 1.150 with 3.5 grains of Universal Clays, IIRC when I chronoed it it was subsonic. Also have used 124 grain CMJ Montana Gold bullets same OAL with 4.5 grains of Universal Clays, both run fine.

My suppressor and registered auto sear are in various stages of waiting for the ATF.

Thanks rtr...and congrats on your purchase! I love mine.

See you on the line!

Joel

• 2 weeks later...
It's not clear in your post if you have a muzzle can or an MP5SD. If it's an SD, you should to reload 115s to normal specs, as the ported barrel will bring them back to subsonic range.

I just have a thread on can...not SD

I'm surprised that factory sub-sonics are actually subsonic out of your sub gun barrel. I know that factory sub-sonic .40's are not sub-sonic out of our MP5 .40's. I loaded some 180 jhp's that were traveling about 1100 fps out of the MP5 barrel and with our Knight's can I got some impressively quiet results. Point of impact shifted about 3" though and I had to use the low impulse locking piece for reliable operation. :ph34r:

I'm surprised that factory sub-sonics are actually subsonic out of your sub gun barrel. I know that factory sub-sonic .40's are not sub-sonic out of our MP5 .40's. I loaded some 180 jhp's that were traveling about 1100 fps out of the MP5 barrel and with our Knight's can I got some impressively quiet results. Point of impact shifted about 3" though and I had to use the low impulse locking piece for reliable operation. :ph34r:

Hmmm...Knights can....40 cal MP5....interesting ;-)

They are pretty quiet through the can with the 147's...and not too bad with 115's. Of course you get the crack (sonic boom) with the 115's. Of course my can isn't a knights but also wasn't as much $$. Mine is a libertycans.net can. He's a buddy with SOT/07 or whatever the manufacturer designation is. I'm hoping to get one of his 7.62 cans soon.

Sounds like you've got an interesting job...I just shoot mine for kicks.

^^^David's awesome, I have a Sparrowhawk and he has amazed me with his customer service and friendliness.

Yep. Real Good people.

I'm always glad to hear others who like his work. My MP5/can is the one on his website.