Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Redhawk

Carmoney

I just checked the website and Dave Clements is still doing caliber conversions on S&W N Frame revolvers. I believe he has reamers for .45 Win. Mag. He told me he has done a few Redhawks so an N Frame should not be much different. If you seriously want to do this you should contact him and get some more details. I asked him if it could be done and he said yes, but I do not want to do it at this time so I didn't want to waste his time asking about all the details. A few weeks ago at Cabelas I saw a used Redhawk .41 Magnum for sale and very briefly considered it for spare parts and the possible cylinder conversion. It's kind of ridiculous when you have to buy an entire gun just to have some spare parts.

Dave Sinko

Mike, I'm sure it can be done if you really want to do it. I'm just surprised that you'd consider it because I know it would be a step backwards for you in competition. Frankly, I believe a .45 ACP Redhawk is useless and there is much greater appeal in the Magnum cartridge which should be able to fire ACP as an added bonus. And the only appeal that could possibly have would be for pin shooting. If I had a ton of money I'd just have Bowen make me a cylinder from scratch so that it would be absolutely perfect. Hmmm... do you have any experience building cylinders from scratch?

Dave Sinko

I think you're probably right, Dave, about the Redhawk not being the best gun for competition. I just happened to see a 7.5" .45 Colt Redhawk for sale recently and it got me thinking. I was never planning to replace my 625s, it was just an idea for experimentation. Sometimes I get a little frustrated with S&W, and I wish there were more choices available for us, especially now that the 5" 625 has been discontinued by the factory. On the other hand, Ruger's attitude toward competitive shooting is even worse. Oddly enough, the company that has done more to try to support revolver shooting in competition over the years has been Taurus. Unfortunately, their metallurgy has always left a bit to be desired, and the competitive market for Taurus products never really blossomed.

Ah well. Whatya gonna do?

Mike, Just in case this is something you are still thinking about if you are just going to shoot acp you could use the same moon clips.

It would be easy to do just face .045 off of the face of the cylinder and go. You wouldn't have to do anything else.

The trick to use a Redhawk would bo to get a good trigger.

Mike, Just in case this is something you are still thinking about if you are just going to shoot acp you could use the same moon clips.

It would be easy to do just face .045 off of the face of the cylinder and go. You wouldn't have to do anything else.

The trick to use a Redhawk would bo to get a good trigger.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I would have no need to shoot .45 Colt through it, so it would be fine to just make it a dedicated .45 ACP gun. In this thread, I was mainly trying to confirm that the chambers were placed on the same radius as they are on a S&W .45. The gun I was thinking about buying is gone anyway, but maybe someday if I see another .45 Redhawk I might buy it and convert it to ACP, just for S & G.