Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot right handed and use left eye or left handed and use righ

Flyin40

Speaking of beers, after a few, a shooting buddy and I decided to shoot a few matches as if we were left handed. Both being right handed and right eye dominant we had to over come the obstacle that is the topic of this thread. All I can say is that it took longer to perfect the draw, backasswords grip and reloads than it did to just move the pistol over to the right an inch or so to line up the sights with the dominant eye. I think with a few hours of focused practice it shouldn't be any problem. I would just stay away form anything that contorts the body.

I wish i had some crazy person try that with me. I have wanted to try being a mutant for a couple matches but can't find anyway to join me in the adventure.

Being cross-dominant is not a big problem in shooting, but it is hard for anyone who is NOT cross-dominant to understand, since there is no practical way to duplicate the phenomenon.

I am right handed and have a left master eye. I shoot handguns with the right hand and long guns off the right shoulder. With handguns, I use the left eye to sight with. (Out to 10 or 12 yards I have trained myself to shoot with both eyes open -- farther out than that and I have to close the weak eye.)

I use a Chapman stance (modified Weaver) that better brings the front sight of the handgun into alignment with my left master eye. I slightly shift my head to line my left eye up with the sights.

When shooting long guns, I close the left eye. This does cut down on peripheral vision to some extent, but I find it works a lot better for me than trying to shoot off the left shoulder, although I do practice bilateral shooting out to about 25 yards with both handguns and long guns because one never knows the precise nature of any situation one might find themselves in.

I do know some shooters with a cross dominant master eye who have learned to switch hands successfully.

I taught police recruits at the local regional police academy for 10 years and found that it was fairly common to have a left handed shooter who had a right master eye who also shot right handed, even though they used the left hand to write with. I suspect that circumstance forces left handed people to develop a greater degree of ambidextrous skills, simply because almost all firearms and many other implements are designed for use by right handed operators.

With my particular vision circumstance, I cannot use occluded eye gunsights.

I have found a number of people who cannot close a single eye independently. This condition pretty much requires that all weapons be fired using the hand/shoulder that corresponds to their dominant eye, regardless of which hand has greater dexterity.

Being cross dominant is not a big problem in most circumstances, but everybody's vision and level of physical skill varies. Experimentation will usually find the best option to select.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm cross eye dominant....right handed but left-eyed....pistol i shoot regular right handed and havent had a problem because ive known of my dominance problem since i was a kid....and its pretty easy to sight in with my left eye unless its strong hand only...then i find it easy to give the gangster 45' cant to the pistol....long guns is another story though....i cant even shoulder one on my right side without thinking heavily through the process....even then its so alien feeling that i dont think ive even tried to shoot that way....so im stuck with tryin to operate the longuns the hard way...or searching and forkin out the cash for the rare leftys.....i dont understand why people try training with their weak eye and blinding their dominant one...can somone explain the reason????

I haven't been shooting long, but I am right handed and left-eye dominant. I learned about my left eye being the dominant one while shooting from the bench, and I couldn't line up the sights with both eyes open(and after an eye exam).

So I tried shooting left-handed, and since I was still new, it didn't really take long to get used to shooting southpaw. I also put some tape over my right eye.

Shooting IPSC is natural to me like this, never shot a match right-handed.

• 4 weeks later...

Been offline with computer problems but good to go now. I have shot 2 matches using my right eye and I'm good to go. I'm probably about 99% switched over to my right eye. The only thing I have run into is the turn and draw. My draws times are about 1.5secs because I can't pick up the dot on the turn and draw. Lots of dryfire will solve that.

Looking back I don't think I could of made the switch if I hadn't take so long off shooting. I didn't touch my pistol for at least 5 months before I switched and it let my dominant eye take over again. I really didn't have any issues adjusting to it in dryfire. The first live fire I tried was in a match and it went well except the gun wasn't even close to being sighted in.

So heres a question. Does switching eyes change the point of impact. My gun was sighted in for the Ohio match and has set in the bag since. Just trying to figure out how the gun was off.

Anyone having problems I suggest trying this. Its amazing seeing with both eyes

Flyin

• 2 weeks later...