Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken XD-9 Trigger bar

OU812

My friend and I were shooting a Production Match in South Florida today, when on the 6th stage of the match his trigger stopped working(lucky for him it was on his last shot and I had a loaner he could use!) . Afterwards we went to the safe table to take a look. Soon after I discovered that his trigger bar had broke in two at the "S" section of the bar closest to the frame. The XD has about 6000 to 7000 rounds of WWB through it and its five months or so old(cool when new shooters get hooked :cheers: ). My question is how do you take it apart now that you can no longer use the trigger? And should he send it to Springfield to get fixed first or just bite the bullet now and get a trigger job by Springer or Canyon? Thanks for your time.

My question is how do you take it apart now that you can no longer use the trigger? And should he send it to Springfield to get fixed first or just bite the bullet now and get a trigger job by Springer or Canyon? Thanks for your time.

Agree, it's easy to reach in from the back with a thing screwdriver blade and force the sear down enough to clear the striker tab (done it a few times when fitting new trigger bars).

Springer precision sells a VERY nice stainless trigger bar with thick pads to be filed to dial in the pre-travel and over travel. I used that along with their polished sear and came up with a really sweet trigger. If you have baic gunsmithing skills, you can fit it yourself.

I thank you all for your help. I will be getting the XD from him in a day or two and try this. Afterwards though, do I tell my friend to get the work done by Springfield to keep the warranty or tell him to go ahead and send it off to get the trigger job. He is a 19 year old collage student and as such does not have a lot of cash. His dads willing to pay for the work on the trigger job but it would have to wait for a little while, he just paid for classes on training in our sport. your thoughts?

I thank you all for your help. I will be getting the XD from him in a day or two and try this. Afterwards though, do I tell my friend to get the work done by Springfield to keep the warranty or tell him to go ahead and send it off to get the trigger job. He is a 19 year old collage student and as such does not have a lot of cash. His dads willing to pay for the work on the trigger job but it would have to wait for a little while, he just paid for classes on training in our sport. your thoughts?
If it's under warranty, send it to SA and make them fix it. If not, order a trigger bar from SA and drop it in.

then:

I would tell him to buy the Springer polished sear/spring kit and install it (drop in, no fitting required). For $80 it gives the most trigger improvement for the money.

Edited by bountyhunter

Thanks bountyhunter for all your help. Question... say we send it to springfield... they replace the trigger bar... then he orders the sear kit... wouldn't the trigger bar still be the weak link? Or did they come out with a stronger bar? No disrespect intended by this question. :blush:

Thanks bountyhunter for all your help. Question... say we send it to springfield... they replace the trigger bar... then he orders the sear kit... wouldn't the trigger bar still be the weak link? Or did they come out with a stronger bar? No disrespect intended by this question. :blush:

Well, this is the first case I have heard of an XD trigger bar failing. I tend to think it's pretty rare.

Springer has come out with a stronger trigger bar, it's about $60. It's the one that requires fitting for pre-travel and overtravel, so it's worth it to get those features. I think you have to use the Springer sear if you use their trigger bar.

But, the SA factory bar will drop in without fitting. I'd be surprised if he broke another one.

EDITED TO ADD: if things haven't changed, you have to pay for overnight shipping to send a gun in for work. Out here, that runs about $75. You may want to first call SA and yell at them and maybe they will send you a trigger bar under warranty to spare you the expense. It should drop right in. If they won't give it up for free, it will probably still be cheaper to buy it and install it yourself.

Edited by bountyhunter