Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts from a NEWB

GSXRanger

Did anyone award you with an official "I suck" badge? If you don't have one, you really don't officially suck. You really do "got it". If you let it happen, then it will. Any break-thru in your shooting will probably make you feel noobish, and that's great because you are really learning.

Darren,

I almost went to last night's match, but got out of work too late. What sucked worse is that I am almost close enough to the range to actually hear the shooting. Come out to the Ruskin match on the first Sunday of the month, and I am always at the WAC on the 4th Sunday. I make the Tuesday and Friday matches when I can. I'm glad to hear you had a good time. Hard not to do considering the great folks and fun.

Chris

Well, I completed my second match last night. I got some very good input from the other shooters, and had a chance to watch the GM run cleanly again. What grace and finess... gives me something to strive for.

I found that this time around, I was able to keep my wits a bit more. I had a little more body momentum in the first stage, and I stepped over the line a bit. Luckily I didn't fire, whilst over the line. But, that "procedural" violation, messed my thought process up.

The second stage was interesting. It had a little door in front of you, that you had to flip the little window down before shooting through it. One thing that I noticed... when you are shooting the little round steel plates, and you miss one, you KEEP missing. At least, I did. I must have shot three or four rounds before finally hitting the darn thing. Also, the stock Glock sights become a blob of white, when looking at the steel targets. Not good at all.

The third and fourth stages, were pretty fun. What I find now, is that I am not very comfortable shooting at distance, whilst moving. I understand the "groucho walk" and the tactical crouch... good isolated movements... but, KNOWLEDGE is NO SUBSTITUTE for EXPERIENCE. Period.

You can KNOW how to do something, but once you actually DO it, it is just knowledge.

Two down, many many more to go. What a great group to shoot with... it's official, I am hooked.

I also love to laugh at myself. I can't wait to video myself, to critique it later. Right now, I am focusing on the fundamentals, and then efficiency of motion.

On another note, I am trying to bring some of the guys from my team, out to wet their whistles... but, so far... they are not biting.

Cheers!!

Darren

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

I really enjoy shooting w/ Smitty & Sharon (and the rest) I've learned allot from them (but I still suck) When not shooting, RO'ing or keeping score I spend my time watching their movements. Amazing!

I agree with you on the Glock sights...did you say you were getting a set of Weavers?

Did you get the scores I sent out? We'll see you next week.

Hey, do you guys ever let 'outsiders' come in and play the role of the perp in your simunition exercises? ;)

Brian

Hey Brian...

No Sir, I have not gotten the scores... not that I know how to read them. :blink:

Anyway... I talked it over with the HH6 and I will be joining the WAC as a Club Member, and doing the R/O course as soon as I can. It's one thing to show up and shoot... but, I prefer to become an active part. I just gotta remember to wait for "Range is Clear" before RUNNING up to tape the target!!!

I felt like an idiot! I could have sworn I heard the R/O say it was clear. THANK you for snagging me by my collar. I get a little enthusiastic... like a puppy with big feet.

I will PM you my email address...

Cheers!

Darren

Darren,

I almost went to last night's match, but got out of work too late. What sucked worse is that I am almost close enough to the range to actually hear the shooting. Come out to the Ruskin match on the first Sunday of the month, and I am always at the WAC on the 4th Sunday. I make the Tuesday and Friday matches when I can. I'm glad to hear you had a good time. Hard not to do considering the great folks and fun.

Chris

Tuesday was fun, more stages. Friday seems to be more "laid back" so to speak. I heard about the Thursday stuff... that interests me. Mr. Jones told me about the Sunday matches in Ruskin... you can count on me being there, work permitting. I'm pretty easy to spot... the big goofy guy, with a face that looks like this... :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Darren, don't feel bad, back 25+ years ago when I started we used a whistle and stop watch (you do know what those are don't you?) to start and time the stage. At my first match the RO blew the whistle and backed up so he wouldn't get shot! Neither one of us got shot (I forget if any targets got shot or not) but I was hooked and still am. The closest I got to B class was about .2 of a point. I finally realized I couldn't keep up with C shooters let alone B shooters. Grab some of the recommended books, read, relax and have fun. Brain farts happen. Nerves happen. S... happens.