Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats needed to convert .45 to .40

I have a Pro 1000 that I reload strictly .45 acp on, and have been using for about 2 years.

Now I bought a .40 XD and want to reload for it as well.

I figure on getting a die set w/FCD, another 3 hole turret for ease of change over. I hand prime everything so that doesn't really matter (Federal 150's on my .45)

What is the best route for the shell plate though? Just get a shell plate or should I get the whole shell plate carrier?

I want to be able to switch fairly easily. Anyone with some experience here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It's easiest to get a new shell plate carrier. You have to take it off to remove the shell plate anyway and it's less likely you will have to reindex it when you reinstall. Also if you decide to use the priming feature in the future, you will want a small primer feeder and seater.

Getting another powder feeder is not a bad idea either, once you get everything set up, it's nice not to change it.

My suggestion is to price the parts separately and check the total against the price of a new press in 40 S&W. Getting another press is the best if you have room to leave it set up and you have a ready supply of spare parts for the other. Lowest I've seen new presses is around $130-140, not too bad.

John

The powder feeder is a good idea. I had figured on getting another 3 hole turret to mount the dies in.

You're probably right about the total cost of the switch. Carrier is about $55, Dies are 30-40. But I do have limitations on room on the bench, and my wife might notice some too.

The powder feeder is a good idea. I had figured on getting another 3 hole turret to mount the dies in.

You're probably right about the total cost of the switch. Carrier is about $55, Dies are 30-40. But I do have limitations on room on the bench, and my wife might notice some too.

I mounted my old press on a piece of 2x6 and screwed the other end of the 2x6 down to a "temporary" bench. You could do something similar with bolts and be able to swap presses if you chose.

The wife is harder... Mine would probably understand if I showed her the cost of the component pieces vs. the press set. Make sure to add in the case feeder,case tubes, etc. if you have to do this.

BTW, if you don't have a case collater, get one.

John

Yeah, I have the collator, and case tubes for all sizes.

Have the bullet feeder as well, although it doesn't work with .45's. When I called them to ask why the said the bullets are too heavy so they never intended it to work with .45's. My question was then why don't you tell everyone. Duh!

I also have the (not-)pefect powder measure. It doesn't work worth a darn either for handgun loads. When I asked them about that they told it wasn't designed to work with handgun loads. My question was then why don't you tell everyone. Duh!

With the amount that I shoot Lee also told me that the Pro 1000 was not meant for the serious reloader. Instead it was more for the hobbyist??? Then why call it the "Pro" 1000.

I think if I buy another reloader it will definitely be blue. But for now working with just one load this one keeps working.