Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What if they gave a Nationals...

Jim Norman

Perhaps if you re-read the first post...

The title was INTENDED to be a bit tongue in cheek.

What leads you to believe that I didn't read it the first time? You know I reread it again per your request and I still think the title of the thread sucks. If it's "tongue in cheek" I can't say it sucks?

The idea of the poll was to see what time frame people would like to see or need to see in order to plan a week off to shoot. Using your numbers, 76 of the 111 need 6 months or MORE, or 49%. We can just as easily say that 5% could go if the match was held in two weeks. So what does this prove? Nothing. It wasn't intended to PROVE anything. It was intended to gather information. The information gained here points out that a significant number of people would like to know in December or better in November of the year preceeding the Nationals based upon historic dates for when the match is generally held.

The 111 represents the repondents in bold. Those are all the people that can make it with 6 months notice. I don't know why you would divide 111 by 76. 76/111 = .68

I responded because you had some crazy "500%" number or something in one of your posts. Now I see it's been edited. Good. My intent was to point out that your math was wrong. And of course to say the title to this thread sucks.

So, instead of picking on the poll why not step up and tell us when your cut-off date is, assuming that you have one. If you don't, then good for you, I hope to be in that positoin some day, until then, I like many others need time to plan. And let's face facts, airfare is cheaper if bought in advance. A lot CHEAPER and more hotel rooms are available, in better venues if booked ahead.

If you are happy not knowing when the Nationals are held until a month prior, good for you. (and no one really thinks we'll only get one month notice, but 4-6 is possible).Me I'd like to know and it looks like the poll respondents also feel that way to a point

:rolleyes:

What's make you think that I don't need time? You are inferring a lot from nothing.

It would be nice to stop the snipping and go back to the subject of how much time is needing to get your schedule adjusted to be able to consider going to a Nationals.

When I was in the military I normally carried 90 days leave time but come July anything over 60 was lost so I usually took the month of May or June off. As a civilian I was a little more limited to 2 weeks at a time and the was dependent on work load. There was a 6 month period of 10 hour days 7 days a week for a Ford project when no one took off unless a doctor said you might die without the rest. Then I took a month off looking for a new place to live but I told the boss it was so I could go back and see how Montana had changed in the 20 years since I had been there and to see the National Parks.

I understand the reasoning behind the poll, to try to be able to present some numbers to the President as to why he should start making a choice earlier. Page after page of back and forth rhetoric is not getting the numbers needed to make change.

It would be nice to stop the snipping and go back to the subject of how much time is needing to get your schedule adjusted to be able to consider going to a Nationals.

When I was in the military I normally carried 90 days leave time but come July anything over 60 was lost so I usually took the month of May or June off. As a civilian I was a little more limited to 2 weeks at a time and the was dependent on work load. There was a 6 month period of 10 hour days 7 days a week for a Ford project when no one took off unless a doctor said you might die without the rest. Then I took a month off looking for a new place to live but I told the boss it was so I could go back and see how Montana had changed in the 20 years since I had been there and to see the National Parks.

I understand the reasoning behind the poll, to try to be able to present some numbers to the President as to why he should start making a choice earlier. Page after page of back and forth rhetoric is not getting the numbers needed to make change.

+1 Leroy.

For planning purposes, I think most folks need to able to buy airline tickets 21-days in advance so the price isn't through the roof. Plus, arranging hotel, rental car, etc. I would say 2 months min. for me, preferably 3 months (hey, and longer if I actually want to PRACTICE). It just takes time to line everything up.

I for one, have tried to use my slot every year, and have needed to back out more times than I care to remember, even though I've had 4 to 6 months advance warning.