Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading for the sp01

wcmesa

124g RN (Precision Delta) over 4.3g Titegroup at 1.145- feeds 100% and gives a PF of 137 out of my gun

124g RN (Frontier-plated) over 4.2g Titegroup at 1.130- feeds 100% and gives a PF of 136-137 out of my gun

147g JHP (Zero) over 3.2g Titegroup at 1.130- feeds 100%, but don't recall PF- I think 130-132 out of my gun

Sorry slight thread drift here. While we are on the subject of loads for the SP-01, has anyone else tried Frontier plated bullets? I've shot a lot of them and like them, but at close targets I get these two crazy swirl marks around the bullet hole. Each one is probably 2 to 3 inches long. It looks to be lead marks. I get good accuracy out of these bullets (can hit a 10" gong at 50yds all day long) with no key holes at any distance I've checked. They group well also. I started using Delta Precision because they are the same price to my door, and have just a little better accuracy. I've still got 13k of the Frontiers to use though, and have no issues of using them in a match. Just wondering if anybody else has maybe experienced this with this bullet?

124g RN (Precision Delta) over 4.3g Titegroup at 1.145- feeds 100% and gives a PF of 137 out of my gun

124g RN (Frontier-plated) over 4.2g Titegroup at 1.130- feeds 100% and gives a PF of 136-137 out of my gun

147g JHP (Zero) over 3.2g Titegroup at 1.130- feeds 100%, but don't recall PF- I think 130-132 out of my gun

Sorry slight thread drift here. While we are on the subject of loads for the SP-01, has anyone else tried Frontier plated bullets? I've shot a lot of them and like them, but at close targets I get these two crazy swirl marks around the bullet hole. Each one is probably 2 to 3 inches long. It looks to be lead marks. I get good accuracy out of these bullets (can hit a 10" gong at 50yds all day long) with no key holes at any distance I've checked. They group well also. I started using Delta Precision because they are the same price to my door, and have just a little better accuracy. I've still got 13k of the Frontiers to use though, and have no issues of using them in a match. Just wondering if anybody else has maybe experienced this with this bullet?

There are photos of that phenomenon somewhere around here. Just search on "Frontier" in the .40 forum and you should find them.

I discovered there are TWO (2) types of Frontier:

-cast core and

-swaged core.

The Swirl patterns happen only with the CAST Frontiers. I think the TMJ on the cast is a little more thin - but the bullets are EXCELLENT. I used them at the 2005 Nationals and they never let me down.

The 124s I am using now are the swaged core (says so on the box). The TMJ on these is as thik as the TMJ on GoldDot speer and Speer TMJ (also used in LawMan ammo and Blazer ammo). Out of my SP-01, the work GREAT!

Thanks Carlos, I'll check it out. Yep they are the cast ones, guess I should have mentioned that.

Like I said, I have no issues with the bullet. They are accurate and hold up. The plating on them looks good. Every once in awhile I look at the plating on some of them and I don't even see ripples in them like I have with other plated bullets.

Strange thing is they don't seem to be popular. All the guys I shoot with have never heard of them and I haven't seen much on the forums about them.