Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Para? or Convert Existing Para?

recardoa

Everyone:

This post has some very interesting information! I respect each and every opinion submitted. The expertise that is harnessed by this type of discussion is priceless. We all express ourselves differently and have various levels of expertise. That is a good thing!!

Let's keep it going.

One thing that I found out was that Para only makes the 18-9 in stainless steel and I would not like to own anymore stainless steel weapons. (Just personal preference!)

However, after reviewing the input and some of my own research I am leaning towards the conversion direction. My research presents a new question on magazines!!

Para lists the magazine as part # PNM9 specifically for 9mm. I have had pretty good experience with M*C-G*R mags in my 16-40, however Br**n***s does not list this mag dedicated to the 9mm but rather the .38S (part #:625-000-014).

Question:

Does this mean that the M*C-G*R mags are interchangeable for 9mm and .38S? Or does it mean that M*C-G*R mags are not made for the 9mm Para?

Recardoa :cheers:

Personally I would order the mags from CDNN. the prices are the best I found for factory mags anywhere. I bought four of them from them for my .40 (and the dawson bases from dawson with the extended springs) and have had no problems at all compaired to my STI mags that cost twice as much, tuned and still two are giving me problems. As far as the Para vs. STI/SVI, thy both have their qualities and a love them both.

On a side note I've been thinking of getting a P-18-9 slide for practice for a while now and think the best rout I found was to try and find a used one. The cost would be about the same when you add the cost of parts and labor. Also all new Paras have SS slides. Just my 2 cents hope it helps

OU812:

Thanks for the information! It was great to see a site that I had not heard of before, to look around!!

While there, I did not notice any magazines specifically marked for the Para 18-9!

I don't know if the mags are interchangeable with the 38S mags. My concern is that the 38S is a rimmed round and the 18-9 is rimless. Would this be a magazine tuning issue or am I going overboard?

Anyone have ideas!!

Recardoa

(Welcome to 2008 everyone!)

The mags are in their, for $40 on sale. they should work, if not then get them tuned. I would have to ask a friend and find out for you(PaulW if you reading this....)if you want to know before buying. One question... do you reload? If so, then I would load them a bit long starting with the min. starting load for your bullet/powder combo and work up slowly. If not you might run into a problem with your feeding then again you night not. I was looking in USPSA's Members only section under the member sales section and found a few P18's for sale their for a good price. Oh yah, at least to me you are only going "overboard" when you wife sees the credit card bills and wants to "talk" to you about your toys :rolleyes: