Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

U Dies

TBF

Testing of 6 peices of .40 S&W brass. 3 were resized with a Lee standard die. 3 different pieces were resized using the Lee "U" die that was purchased at EGW.

HERE ARE THE RESULTS!!

1&2 3&4 5&6

LEE .40 “U” .40185 .40190 .40180

LEE .40 .40215 .40215 .40215

Sorry, I didn't make clear where the measurements were taken. All cases were measured about 1/2" above the head of the case. I tried to get just above the shiney mark that the resizing die makes. All measurements were diameters. After looking at the results, the standard die generated more consistant results. I have reloaded 500 rounds with the stadard die, and they drop check better than the "U" die does. I can also get more crimp with the standard die. I may run the standard die for the winter and see what happens.

I think it has already been stated that Lee carries the "U" dies but does not advertise tham.

I called today ( 262-673-3075 ) and ordered a 9mm and 40 S&W undersized sizing die.

The price was $19.95 ea. and a total of $4 shipping to my area code.

I've used Hornady "Dimension" dies for 7+ years. They have always sized almost completely to the bottom of the case. I tried Lee then Dillon to no avail. The Hornady's have been going strong and after 7 years the Titanium Nitride coating on the sizing die is showing no wear.